Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ramid Guest

Re: How do you think about your accents?

Well, for me the correct form of word is only use in the essay or some serious events. But in the forum, I prefer to use the slang.

Ramid Guest

For some reason, I feel very nervous to talk in the public, for instance the school presentation. During the presentation, my heart was just like beating hella fast, and my mouth start to swallowing my words... Well, I tried to calm myself down, but it doesn't seen to work for me...and I hated when no one understand my presentation.

hana is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi All

the question of mother accent is normal.I.E. Am Arabic.I most of the time I use my own way of pronouncing words unconsciously.not only that ,sometimes I translate my speach in arabic as it is into English undeliberately.
    Anyway I hope my message is clear .If you find any linguistic mistake please dont hesitate to correct me

Mr.twosteps ,I do really appreciate your responses

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hana
    Hi All

the question of mother accent is normal.I.E. Am Arabic.I most of the time I use my own way of pronouncing words unconsciously.not only that ,sometimes I translate my speach in arabic as it is into English undeliberately.
    Anyway I hope my message is clear .If you find any linguistic mistake please dont hesitate to correct me

Mr.twosteps ,I do really appreciate your responses

thanks in advance
    Thank you! I found it very helpful to listen to the radio. Books on tape/cd may be an other option. Mistakes are human. Try to see the fun in using another language. Enjoy its quirky nuances such as one word two meanings. Do not consider it a boring school project but a window to the world of others.

hana is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr:twostep
    greatings

I do really appreciate your advise.thats so kind of you.once my doctors in the university adviced me to read best sellers.Am interested in reading English literture .I find it very interesting to read about others culture through aesthetic words.like you said sir that seeing people speak a foriegn language is sometimes funny.You will see the local color quit clear when they speak English.As much effort I pay on my doctor advice,promise to do the same with yours.

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: How do you think about your accents?

Hello.Ramid! I'm a Chinese too. I think you needn't to worry with it.Everyone has their own accents.You should think"my English is very well!It doesn't metter with it!" You should make a confidence into you heart!!

Ramid Guest

Well, I just don't like people keep calling me a FOB~~ That's too humiliating~
    And everyone said it's so hard to understand my English~Cuz of the accents

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

What FOB stands for?
    I am Arabic and I try to cath the accent of British people through listening to what they say and then try to imitate them while reading books. This must be of cource in my own room when no one can lsten to me. I myself feel shy to copy others accent, because I think people are going to think me stubid and that I am trying to show of. I see that the most interesting thing in learning languages that you keep your own identity through the accent you have. The only thing you have to do is just to make your words clear that people can understand that you speak English. One more thing, don't worry what people are going to say about your accent. I think you have to see: "Yes I am ..."Arab, or Chinese, or whatever country you came from, and then you have to say "Don't you understand accents?"
    I don't know if this will help, or will make you just laugh, but I feel about it like a signature you add at the bottom of your masterpeice that people can identify you. Its your identity so you have to feel proud of it.
    I will not worry if people recognized me as "the person with accent." at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I have this particular problem. I am Argentinean (that's a problem in itslef) and not being a native, it gets very complicated to stick to an accent. My work involves using English, but not spoken, at least not often.
    It seems to be that I always end up picking up the accent of the last person I speak with. I used to have this "american accent" but I've spent a considerable amount of time with an Australian guy and with a Londoner... I have this Britalian accent that is very hard to understand... even to me sometimes! I've even picked up some Cockney rhyming slang and when my friends hear me speak, they look at me like I am from another planet...

Post Thanks / Like

What's the meaning of the FOB.?Could you tell me at once,Ramid? What time are you usually online?
    Last edited by K.Margaret; 16-Jan-2005 at 11:21.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast