Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Several Questions

My dear teachers, help me please. The questions are:

a) Is there any difference between: threat and menace? ghost and phantom?
    b) If I don't want to use my towel because I don't want it to be old, I know I can't say: "It will finish", so is it right to say: "I will run out of it?"
    c) Just tell me if I'm right: I use "still" in affirmative sentences, "already" in questions and affirmative sentences and "yet" in negative and interrogative sentences, right?
    d) Can "family" be conjugated in the singular and plural. Ex: My family was at home. / My family were at home.
    e) No x Not = If someone said something wrong, suppose: "I didn't understood a word" . Can I say "I didn't understand a word, no, you should say "You didn't understand a word. I mean, is it possible to use "no" or "not" in this sentence? When I have a question, is it right in the following way: "Are you coming or not", "Did you like it or not", "Will they see him or not"?
    f) When I use the word "too", is it necessary to use "comma"? In some books they use in others they don't.
    Ex: You like Emma, too. / You like Emma.
    By the way, is "too" considered an "informal" word?

Thanks and I'm sorry for asking you too many questions. I've been studying hard for an examination and I need to explain the difference in meaning of many words. You've been very kind to me. This is the best website I've found so far. Congratulations!

EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Several Questions

d) Can "family" be conjugated in the singular and plural. Ex: My family was at home. / My family were at home.
    1- all of your family members, sigular concept.
    2- each memebers, plural concept.

e) No x Not = If someone said something wrong, suppose: "I didn't understood a word" . Can I say "I didn't understand a word, no, you should say "You didn't understand a word. I mean, is it possible to use "no" or "not" in this sentence? When I have a question, is it right in the following way: "Are you coming or not", "Did you like it or not", "Will they see him or not"?
    In your first sentence, you should say "I didn't understand a word." I believe it was a typo. The "not" part is fine.

f) When I use the word "too", is it necessary to use "comma"? In some books they use in others they don't.
    It depends on different context.

Thanks and I'm sorry for asking you too many questions. I've been studying hard for an examination and I need to explain the difference in meaning of many words. You've been very kind to me. This is the best website I've found so far. Congratulations!
    It is a good forum. Welcome!