Unregistered Guest

Help me to choose the correct words

Dear Teacher, I have filled in the blank for the text. I would appreciate it if you correct whether the words are correct. My answers are in the brackets.
    The words to choose from are indicated below:

has, as, what, of , one , to , ago , is , his, also, on , whose , no , given,
    has

The film studios of Hollywood have produced many classics. 'It is a Wonderful Life' is the title of ......(one) of the best-loved ever ......(to) to be made. The film was produced just over fifty years ......( ago ) and it was an immediate favourite with cinema audiences. In the years that it was first seen, 'It is a Wonderful Life'.......( has) come to be regarded by many
    .......(as ) a great American film.

I is never easy to say exactly ......(what ) it is that makes a film special. In the case ..........( of ) 'it is Wonderful Life' there are several factors. For a startthere is the acting. James Stewart,.........( who ) is a great actor, gave an unforgettable performance and ........( his ) co-star Donna Reed provided the perfect balance.

There is .........( also) the storyline. There was based .......( on ) a short story about a man .....( whose) life had become empty and dull . He was.....( given ) the chance to see what would have happened if he had never lived.

The great film director Frank Capra recognised that the basic story ......( has) everything needed for a good film. There is.......( no ) doubt that ' T t is Wonderful Life' is a film for everyone.

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me to choose the correct words

I think there is a typing mistake in your answer list: 'had' should be there, and it is needed in two of the blanks, which are currently wrong. There are several other typing mistakes that make this difficult to read.

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the typos, it's excellent! Well done.

1. The film studios of Hollywood have produced many classics.
    2. 'It is a Wonderful Life' is the title of one of the best-loved ever to to be made.
    3. The film was produced just over fifty years ago and it was an immediate favourite with cinema audiences.
    4. In the years that it was first seen, 'It is a Wonderful Life' has come to be regarded by many as a great American film.
    5. It is never easy to say exactly what it is that makes a film special.
    6. In the case of 'It is a Wonderful Life' there are several factors.
    7. For a start, there is the acting. James Stewart, who is a great actor, gave an unforgettable performance and his co-star Donna Reed provided the perfect balance.
    8. There is also the storyline.
    9. It was based on a short story about a man whose life had become empty and dull.
    10. He was given the chance to see what would have happened if he had never lived.
    11. The great film director Frank Capra recognised that the basic story has everything needed for a good film.
    12. There is no doubt that 'It is a Wonderful Life' is a film for everyone.

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

(4) and (11) are still wrong in Casi's list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    has (1), as, what, of , one , to , ago , is , his, also, on , whose , no , given, has (2)
    Thank goodness for Mister Micawber's keen eye. Please see Post #2--which I missed. Note that, 4. and 11. refer to the past, so 'has (2)' in your list above should be had:

4. In the years that it was first seen, 'It is a Wonderful Life' had come to be regarded by many as a great American film.

11. The great film director Frank Capra recognised that the basic storyhad everything needed for a good film.