Post Thanks / Like

Please help me editing the letter to the professor.

Could anyone help me editing a letter to professor? Thank you very much in advance for your time and kindness!

===============
    Dear Professorů
    My name is XXX. You could call me Sue. I am writing this e-mail because I have strong intention to apply for PhD program in your Graduate School. I would appreciate it very much if you would spend your valuable time considering my qualification and giving me your advice.

I graduated Bachelor Degree with first class honors in Political Science major in International Relations from xxx in year 2002. After that I spent two years working for xxx company in Thailand. In 2005, I continued my study at xxx and I received Master Degree in International Studies. I wrote papers about humanitarian intervention, conflicts in Southern Thailand and United Nations. I also studied a course at United Nations University in Tokyo. It is a 2006 UNU Joint Graduate Course of Functions of the United Nations System in a Turbulent World: Peace building and Sustainable Development.

When I came back to Thailand in 2007, I intended to find the academic work. However, xxx, the company that I work before going to Japan, asked me to help establishing a new project in Thailand. So I decided to work for this new project as a Project Staff. I have worked for 2 years and the project makes a good progress. And now I am trying my best to apply for PhD program.
    The motivation to pursue my study is that I would like to contribute my capability and knowledge for the society. It is my dream to become a professor in the university or a researcher who involves in giving advice to national policy makers. I see that studying PhD program will enable me to develop my potential and have more chance to acquire my dream.
    I would like to ask for your kindness to recommend the professor who will be accepting student under his/her supervision. Is there any professor who is interested in doing a research about the relation between international political economy and human development or any subject relating to Thailand? If no, could you please recommend the professor who fits my academic background.
    Thank you very much for your time. I am looking forward to hearing back from you soon.
    Best regards,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please help me editing the letter to the professor.

Could someone familiar with the American tertiary system help here, and give their opinion on:

1. I DON'T think this should be done by email, as proposed.
    2. If you write, then it should be to the Dean of the Graduate School, not just one of the professors in the School.
    3. Wouldn't they expect a prospective PhD. applicant to be aware of the staff of a School, and their area(s) of interest and expertise, and so, at that level of academic study, expressly wish to work with that Professor because of his reputation/research writings/academic tomes? ...not indicating to them you intend to apply without having basic knowledge about the School?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your advice! I appreciate it very much.

Post Thanks / Like

This Graduate School must have an information site listing its academic staff. That will tell you who the Dean is, and the address to write to; and may give information about the areas of interest of its academics.