nympha is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Motivation letter for doctoral reserach

Hello all,

I'm having little problems with this post, as i'm not sure if it's in the right place (it seems it's been moved, but not sure if i've been done it myself...). Anyway, I try it again. Here you go!

I'm doing my best to write a motivation letter to apply for a doctoral research. I would like to ask somebody for corrections and advices, please.

I've been checking up other letters posted in this web and the comments of the teachers have helped me a lot.
    I'm afraid that the letter is possily too short, what do you think? (i don't like too long letters, i find them somehow tedious... but myabe this one is too short!)

As it usually happens to me, i've waited almost to the last moment and i only have one day extra before handing in it, so i would imensely nappreciate (but not demand) if somebody can answer before that.

Thank you very much in advance for your help. This is the letter:

Dear Name Surname,

I am writing to express my interest in applying for the Doctoral Research project “Mapping of Ecosystem Services” at XXX sited in XXX.

I believe my professional and educational background enable me to make a strong contribution at the XXX. I am Forestry Engineer specialized in silviculture at the YYY University. Throughout my studies I was profoundly trained in mathematics, statistics and models. In addition, among all disciplines, I liked best those which explained the functioning of nature and its cycles (ecology, meteorology, soil sciences, pastures...), both in the smallest and the biggest scales.

Moreover, I obtained in 2008 an MSc degree in Forest and Nature Conservation (specialized in Policy and Management) at ZZZ University. I was interested in understanding decision-making procedures and rural development processes. During that time I did some research within a team work involving Payments for Environmental Services (PES). Furthermore, after finishing my university studies, I followed an interesting 300-hour course in GIS and environmental management at the YYY University which I liked very much. I am really keen on deepening my knowledge in spatial analysis using this powerful tool.

My long-standing aim is to be actively involved with research in an area that I find fascinating, such as ecology and spatial analysis utilizing GIS software. I believe research on ecosystem services is strongly needed in order to evaluate them and examine their possibilities of truly application at the service of society well-being and sustainable development.

Finally, I am looking forward to join the XXX team and I remain at your disposal for further contacts.

Yours sincerely,

Mi name and surname

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Motivation letter for doctoral reserach

I am writing to express my interest in applying for the Doctoral Research project “Mapping of Ecosystem Services” at XXX sited in XXX.

I believe my professional and educational background enable me to make a strong contribution at the XXX. I am Forestry Engineer specialized in silviculture at the YYY University. Throughout my studies I took extensive training in mathematics, statistics and models. In addition, among all these disciplines, I liked best those which explained the functioning of nature and its cycles (ecology, meteorology, soil sciences, pastures...), both on the smallest and the largest scales.

Moreover, in 2008 I obtained an MSc degree in Forest and Nature Conservation (specialized in Policy and Management) at ZZZ University. I was interested in understanding decision-making procedures and rural development processes. During that time I did some research within a team work involving Payments for Environmental Services (PES). Furthermore, after finishing these university studies, I attended an fascinating 300-hour course in GIS and environmental management at the YYY University which I liked very much. I am really keen on deepening my knowledge of spatial analysis using this powerful tool.

My long-standing aim is to be actively involved with research in an area that I find very exciting, such as ecology and spatial analysis utilizing GIS software. I believe research on ecosystem services is strongly needed in order to evaluate them and examine their possibilities of true application at the service of society's well-being and sustainable development.

Finally, I am looking forward to join the XXX team and I remain at your disposal for further contacts.

Yours sincerely,

nympha is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello konungursvia,

First of all thank you for your time.

I see that you made only small ortographical remarks... that makes me think i did it really well!

However I'm a bit worried about the content. So, in addition to the nice corrections you've made, i would like to ask you (or somebody who has more experience than me in reading/writing this type of letters) your opinion, if the lengh is enough or whether the the content is appropriate (nevermind the technical stuff about ecology and so)... or at least and overall subjective opinion on it (do you think it's good enough?)

Well, that`s all!
    Thank you very much in advance for any help!!!!
    This web is great!! i just discovered yesterday and i love it. It's like to have particular Englush lessons!!

nympha

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's about content, I'd make it a 2 page letter with lots more details about your research past and plans.

nympha is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks!
    i'll work on it today...