• Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default [PET Exam] Shall I use shall?

Hi,
    I'm having my PET exams on Saturday 23rd and I am thus revising all the grammar with a Cambridge book.

I've finally arrived to the "future" unit and, as usual, it says nothing about shall.
    What if I have to write something like "If you shoot me, I'll die" (stupid example, I know) and I do not want to use the 'll form?

What I'm asking you, dear users, is: will it penalise me somehow using "shall" in the writing exam?

Do please reply soon,
    Simosito

P.s. : If this topic is in the wrong section, I apologise.

SUDHKAMP is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: [PET Exam] Shall I use shall?

Quote Originally Posted by Simosito View Post
    Hi,
    I'm having my PET exams on Saturday 23rd and I am thus revising all the grammar with a Cambridge book.

I've finally arrived to the "future" unit and, as usual, it says nothing about shall.
    What if I have to write something like "If you shoot me, I'll die" (stupid example, I know) and I do not want to use the 'll form?

What I'm asking you, dear users, is: will it penalise me somehow using "shall" in the writing exam?

Do please reply soon,
    Simosito

P.s. : If this topic is in the wrong section, I apologise.
    The only difference between shall and will; should and would is the certitude(certainty) of a future action.
    If it is very certain, then you say, I will come tomorrow; but if you are not sure, then you say I shall come tomorrow.

I would do it. (There is a certainty)

I should do it. (There is no compulsion for doing it, yet there is some obligation).

Still, if you use will in your usages, then there would be no harm, in your test.

Simosito is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, my friend.
    I just wanted to be sure.

Just another little question: if I have to do something in the future, I will have to do it or I shall have to do it?

SUDHKAMP is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simosito View Post
    Thank you, my friend.
    I just wanted to be sure.

Just another little question: if I have to do something in the future, I will have to do it or I shall have to do it?
    Again if you have to do it in future, i.e., there is a certainty, determination or compulsion, then it would be I will have to do it.

Simosito is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

So if it is something that's just going to happen, and I'm not looking forward to do it, I use shall, and if I want to do it I use will, like I've always done?

Post Thanks / Like

So - in the protest song: "We shall overcome", according to this rule:

The only difference between shall and will; should and would is the certitude(certainty) of a future action.
    If it is very certain, then you say, I will come tomorrow; but if you are not sure, then you say I shall

- it is equivalent to saying, "We're not certain of achieving this 'overcoming' but let's give it a try."
    Some defiance, some determination!

Something is wrong here; and it won't be brushed away by recourse to 'poetic licence' in this lyric.

"Yes, Cinderella, you will go to the ball."
    compare:
    "Yes, Cinderella - you shall go to the ball."

If I'm Cinderella, which one would raise my hopes higher?

Be that as my bee in my bonnet, PET is a Cambridge Uni. test, so what do Cambridge say:
    Strictly speaking shall should be used with I and we to form the future tense, as in I shall be late, while will should be used with you, he, she, it, and they, as in she will not be there. This, however, is reversed when strong determination is being expressed, as in I will not tolerate this , and you shall go to school.
    Last edited by David L.; 12-May-2009 at 20:19.

engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: [PET Exam] Shall I use shall?

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    "Yes, Cinderella, you will go to the ball."
    compare:
    "Yes, Cinderella - you shall go to the ball."

If I'm Cinderella, which one would raise my hopes higher?
    The latter, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

I ignore posts by certain members of the forum, but have become aware via a PM of a response to my question, and in particular - which I just love - the rolling eyes icon.
    Simosito has an exam to pass, and at this level, without the luxury of 'defending my thesis', needs to give the examinations, by way of the electronic marking device, what they want to hear. Hence, my quote of what Cambridge is expecting with regard to these two modal auxiliaries.

That aside, much could be discussed about the modals - for example, I think it would be better to address the help we give, not by comparing 'will' and 'shall' and 'may' and 'can' as such, but by how we ask for permission, how we make a request etc; and address differences that way.

Such a discussion requires an open curious mind with an orientation toward 'understanding'. I wonder how many people thought about what I wrote, Cinderella-wise, and where I might be going with that as a spring-board for discussion? Well - it seems one member of the forum chose to pounce of what he thinks is obvious; and expresses the superiority born of a closed mind with the rolling eyes icon, and stifles exploration by cutting it dead: a kind of "Duh, ain't it obvious?"

I'm not interested in his mind; but saddened, as a member of this forum, that such a response deters others, who may be tentative, from entering into and exploring issues.

END