Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: If-clauses

  1. #1
    Dany's Avatar
    Dany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default If-clauses

    Hello,

    would you please correct my if-clauses?
    Thanks in advance

    1. If you stay (stay) here, you can watch the tourists.
    2. If Megan met (meet) Bert again, she would be happy to see him.
    3. You would like this city if you went (go) there.
    4. They would leave (leave) for the country if it was not raining.
    5. The Millers will move (move) to London if Mr Miller finds a good job.
    6. If you had (have) good results, I would be (be) very happy.
    7. If you give (give) that bird a piece of salad, it will play with it.
    8. They would like (like) to go to the market if they didnít have to do their homework.
    9. We will go to Dundee if the ticket is (be) not too expensive.
    10. Aled would win (win) the race if he did not stop.
    11. I will may (may) surf on the www if I finish the corrections.
    12. If he found the results, he would give (give) them to his friends.

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: If-clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by Dany
    Hello,

    Would you please correct my if-clauses?
    Thanks in advance

    1. If you stay (stay) here, you can watch the tourists.
    2. If Megan met (meet) Bert again, she would be happy to see him.
    3. You would like this city if you went (go) there.
    4. They would leave (leave) for the country if it was not raining.
    5. The Millers will move (move) to London if Mr Miller finds a good job.
    6. If you had (have) good results, I would be (be) very happy.
    7. If you give (give) that bird a piece of salad, it will play with it.
    8. They would like (like) to go to the market if they didnít have to do their homework.
    9. We will go to Dundee if the ticket is (be) not too expensive.
    10. Aled would win (win) the race if he did not stop.
    11. I will may (may) surf on the www if I finish the corrections.
    12. If he found the results, he would give (give) them to his friends.
    1. stay
    2. met
    3. went
    4. would leave
    5. will move
    6. have, will be
    7. give
    8. would
    9. is
    10. would have won, if he had not stopped
    11. will
    12. had found, would have given; or finds, will give

  3. #3
    Dany's Avatar
    Dany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: If-clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    1. stay
    2. met
    3. went
    4. would leave
    5. will move
    6. have, will be
    7. give
    8. would
    9. is
    10. would have won, if he had not stopped
    11. will
    12. had found, would have given; or finds, will give
    Thanks for you corrections. I have a question to number 12. You wrote, that I have to use "had found" or "find". But "found" was already given. So I was right, aren't I?

    Kind regards,
    Dany

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: If-clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by Dany
    Thanks for you corrections. I have a question to number 12. You wrote, that I have to use "had found" or "find". But "found" was already given. So I was right, aren't I?

    Kind regards,
    Dany
    You are right. I do have an explanation, however. The sentence, "If he found the results, he would give them to his friends" strongly suggests that it was something that occurred on a regular basis. Results seem to me a rather strange thing to find, especially if it is something that is done on a regular basis.


  5. #5
    Dany's Avatar
    Dany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: If-clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    You are right. I do have an explanation, however. The sentence, "If he found the results, he would give them to his friends" strongly suggests that it was something that occurred on a regular basis. Results seem to me a rather strange thing to find, especially if it is something that is done on a regular basis.

    It doesn't matter. Thanks a lot

Similar Threads

  1. Using adjective clauses to modify pronouns
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2006, 09:06
  2. Time Clauses
    By FunkyDuck in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2004, 01:10
  3. as/which in attributive clauses
    By Joe in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2004, 13:10
  4. time clauses and conditional clauses
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jan-2004, 21:16
  5. defining clauses
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-May-2003, 20:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •