Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: go beyond sb.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default go beyond sb.

    The sexually charged promo goes way beyond Owens, however. Reaction has ranged from amusement to anger.

    From the context, I understand that Owens is in the promo. But why did the promo go beyond him? Is it referring to the reaction from others? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Mister Micawber's Avatar
    Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: go beyond sb.

    I'm afraid I have no idea who Owens is, or how sexually-charged he is. The sentence suggests that the promo, or its impact, is more extreme than Owens or Owens's attitude or behaviour, in some way. It is not referring to outside reaction, but is comparing Owens (or Owens alone) to the promo (or Owens + promo).

    go beyond = be more extreme, thorough, complete, etc.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: go beyond sb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Micawber
    The sentence suggests that the promo, or its impact, is more extreme than Owens or Owens's attitude or behaviour, in some way. It is not referring to outside reaction, but is comparing Owens (or Owens alone) to the promo (or Owens + promo).
    Maybe I should provide more contexts. There's a woman in that promo, who acts provocatively toward Owens. Owens is not really doing much in the footage.

    So, your point is, the sexually charged promo is more extreme than Owens's behavior, because it is NOT him who behaves provocatively. Do I get it right?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: go beyond sb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    The sexually charged promo goes way beyond Owens, however. Reaction has ranged from amusement to anger.

    From the context, I understand that Owens is in the promo. But why did the promo go beyond him? Is it referring to the reaction from others? Thanks.
    Terrel Owens is the wide receiver for Philadelphia Eagles and what happened last Monday outraged many football fans ( ??? not sure why)...a commercial with Owen shows a woman wrapped in a towel that she later drops in front of him to make him stay with her and away from the game.

    The way I understand it, the whole fuss was beyond Owens since there was nothing sexual about it. If it's beyond someone, it means you simply can't understand it.
    Something like this "big" thing with Janet Jackson during last year's Super Bowl....

  5. #5
    Mister Micawber's Avatar
    Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: go beyond sb.

    Yes and no. I now see that I was wrong-- it is about the outside reaction. But 'go beyond' does not mean 'unable to understand' (that is 'be beyond').

    The furor which has been raised by the commercial covers a broader area of controversy than just the 'black football player'/'naked white girl' reaction-- that is my new take on the 'goes beyond Owens' phrase.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: go beyond sb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    The sexually charged promo goes way beyond Owens, however. Reaction has ranged from amusement to anger.

    From the context, I understand that Owens is in the promo. But why did the promo go beyond him? Is it referring to the reaction from others? Thanks.
    From what I can tell, based on the excellent knowledge provided so far, 'goes way beyond' isn't referring to the reactions from others, per se. Some people are upset with Owens for taking part in promoting nudity, whereas others are amused by ad itself. Their amusement and their anger doesn't stop with Owens, however. It goes beyond Owens' involvement. That is, it reaches beyond that, to a higher level. Specifically, it's indicative of things to come: nudity in sports promos; unacceptable ads coming into your home via your TV are starting to catch on (i.e., the Super Bowl, and now Owens), and that, according to the Bible Belt is something they are not ready to up with put. "Our kids watch sports on TV, too, you know?!" --irate parent quoted after the Super Bowl incident

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: go beyond sb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    From what I can tell, based on the excellent knowledge provided so far, 'goes way beyond' isn't referring to the reactions from others, per se. Some people are upset with Owens for taking part in promoting nudity, whereas others are amused by ad itself. Their amusement and their anger doesn't stop with Owens, however. It goes beyond Owens' involvement. That is, it reaches beyond that, to a higher level. Specifically, it's indicative of things to come: nudity in sports promos; unacceptable ads coming into your home via your TV are starting to catch on (i.e., the Super Bowl, and now Owens), and that, according to the Bible Belt is something they are not ready to up with put. "Our kids watch sports on TV, too, you know?!" --irate parent quoted after the Super Bowl incident
    Good point. And that's a big topic...and a really interesting one too. Personally, seeing a naked woman ( it wasn't even a frontal shot) won't do the kids as much harm as having a major NHL player being taken off the ice because someone knocked him unconscious and he will never play hockey again. Watching hockey is not funny anymore...teeth and sticks are flying all over the place, lawsuits galore...what's that teaching our kids? There is examples galore of that as well in other sport disciplines, but....you hit the nail on the head by mentioning the bible belt. Wonder if the same parents know what their kids do on the internet or what sort of material gets through on some cable channnels...?
    Your take on the phrase " goes beyond" is right on.
    I wasn't thinking...duuuuh.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: go beyond sb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    Your take on the phrase " goes beyond" is right on.
    I wasn't thinking...duuuuh.
    But. . . Your post led me there, thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •