fatemehahmadi1364 Guest

Default how can i become a writer

hi,i have a question .could you please send me the answer .
    my question is :how can i become a writer

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how can i become a writer

The standard answer a professional writer will give you is: to become a writer, you must write. It sounds sarcastic, but it's true. You have to practice and perfect your craft. Do you want to write fiction or non-fiction?

Post Thanks / Like

Write, write, write, write and write some more. And then keep writing.

If you want to be a professional writer, be prepared for a lot of hard work. You need to write constantly, even when you find it a struggle. Write short pieces and submit them to publications, such as (for example) airline magazines. Be prepared for a lot of rejections.

If you're good enough, you may succeed in writing a book. You then need to submit the manuscript to as many publishers as you can find. The worst thing is: most -- if not all -- will reject your manuscript. In most cases, you just get an impersonal piece of paper, a so-called "rejection slip". If the publisher is really, really impressed, they might take the time and trouble to write a few encouraging words and maybe some suggestions for improvement. If the publisher is astonishingly impressed, they might even ask you to rewrite it and re-submit it. But before that happens, you will almost certainly get rejection slip after rejection slip.

If you're thinking of making a living from writing, forget it. Only very, very few people manage that.

Oh -- and did I tell you to write?

MrPedantic is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatemehahmadi1364
    hi,i have a question .could you please send me the answer .
    my question is :how can i become a writer
    That depends on the kind of writing you want to do. If you want to write marketing copy in English, for instance, or manuals for electrical appliances, you should a) study English for two or three years b) sit an exam for a relatively advanced qualification in English in your country c) sign up for a course in copy-writing. It isn't difficult to become a writer of this kind, if you're prepared to do a little work.

If you want to write literature in English, on the other hand, it's more a case of "being a writer", than "becoming a writer". In other words, you must first have some natural gift for writing English. You still have to work hard to develop that gift, of course; but without the gift, all the hard work will probably be in vain. It's also a good idea to acquire a secondary, more practical skill (e.g. as an electrician), as otherwise you will probably be unable to support yourself and your family.

MrP

acolyte0811 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is: Reading more and Writing more.