Post Thanks / Like

Default mysterious Beckett

Dear teachers,
    Could you check my writing and give me some comments? It's very important to make it more English.

Since I knew the name of the publishing house, entering the bookshop I followed straightly to the Minuit section, of course if there was such. There the author of Godot was always displayed or even might have had the whole shelf for himself. The place was full of his masterpieces: stylishly published hardbacks in inflexible cellophane with linen binding such as Thť‚tre I, Molloy and Malone meurt, or casual, paperback, in various size depending on the character and content of each book. I relished the layout, which I had known so far only from photographs and which was identical for all the volumes. They all had a plain white cover with a blue frame along the margins and a five-pointed star merged with Ďmí in the middle. The authorís name was written in black, titles were blue and always the same font was used. I admired the clarity, the symmetry and the simplicity. I wondered why didnít we have such a graphic convention in Poland?
    On that occasion I discovered also the other famous authors who had their works published by Minuit: Butor, Duras, Robbe-Grillet, Pinget, Sarraute and Claude Simon. The whole nouveau roman was there, all the main figures of the French avant-garde and among them who? Beckett? It even seemed somehow natural, but on the other hand, I was surprised and a bit against this discovery. For me Beckett didnít fit there, he was just another kind of artist.
    I started to study his works that I hadnít known: Premier amour, Comťdie, Mercier et Camier and Líinnommable.
    Thanks in advance.
    P.S. Sorry that's so much of it, but I want to know if one sentence works with the other.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: mysterious Beckett

Quote Originally Posted by cat's_eyes View Post
    Dear teachers,
    Could you check my writing and give me some comments? It's very important to make it more English.

Since I knew the name of the publishing house, entering the bookshop I followed straightly went straight to the Minuit section, of course if there was such. There the author of Godot was always displayed or even might have had the whole shelf for himself. The place was full of his masterpieces: stylishly published hardbacks in inflexible cellophane [do you mean the books were encased in a clear coating??] with linen binding such as Thť‚tre I, Molloy and Malone meurt, or casual papaerbacks in various size depending on the character and content of each book. I relished the layout, which I had known so far only from photographs and which was identical for all the volumes. They all had a plain white cover with a blue frame along the margins and a five-pointed star merged with Ďmí in the middle. The authorís name was written in black, titles were blue and always the same font was used. I admired the clarity, the symmetry and the simplicity. I wondered why didnít we have such a graphic convention in Poland?
    On that occasion I discovered also the other famous authors who had their works published by Minuit: Butor, Duras, Robbe-Grillet, Pinget, Sarraute and Claude Simon. The whole nouveau roman was there, all the main figures of the French avant-garde and among them who? Beckett? It even seemed somehow natural, but on the other hand, I was surprised and a bit against this discovery. For me Beckett didnít fit there, he was just another kind of artist.
    I started to study his works that I hadnít known: Premier amour, Comťdie, Mercier et Camier and Líinnommable.
    Thanks in advance.
    P.S. Sorry that's so much of it, but I want to know if one sentence works with the other.

It works well, with some minor changes needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cat's_eyes View Post
    Dear teachers,

Since I knew the name of the publishing house, entering the bookshop I followed straightly went straight to the Minuit section, of course if there was such. There the author of Godot was always displayed or even might have had the whole shelf for himself. The place was full of his masterpieces: stylishly published hardbacks bound in linen and encased in clear cellophane jackets {{in inflexible cellophane [do you mean the books were encased in a clear coating??] with linen binding such as}}, titles such as Thť‚tre I, Molloy and Malone meurt, or casual paperbacks in various sizes depending on the character and content of each book. I relished the layout, which I had known so far only from photographs and which was identical for all the volumes. They all had a plain white cover with a blue frame along the margins and a five-pointed star merged with Ďmí in the middle. The authorís name was written in black, titles were blue and always the same font was used. I admired the clarity, the symmetry and the simplicity. I wondered why didnít we have such a graphic convention in Poland?
    Thanks in advance.

It works well, with some minor changes needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much:)

Post Thanks / Like

I meant that they had this linen binding, but they were also protected by this cellophane, so they were slippery not matt.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I thought!