• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default handicapped toilets or handicap toilets / on the hour

Dear teachers,

Here a few sentences I found in an English lesson at Internet. Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my amendments?

I’d just like to point out one or two things of general interest while we’re here.Handicapped toilets are located on this floor and the door shows a wheelchair.

“handicapped toilets” has to be “handicap toilets”

Oh, I almost forgot to give you the times for that tour. Now, tours of the Vampire run on the hour every hour.

“on the hour every hour” has to be “on the hour” because “on the hour” = at every hour exactly; one o'clock, two o'clock, and so on. For example, “The shuttle to New York departs on the hour.” so the last expression “every hour” in the original text is redundant.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

dragn is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: handicapped toilets or handicap toilets / on the hour

“handicapped toilets” has to be “handicap toilets”
    Sorry. It's handicapped toilets. It means toilets for handicapped people.

Oh, I almost forgot to give you the times for that tour. Now, tours of the Vampire run on the hour every hour.

“on the hour every hour” has to be “on the hour” because “on the hour” = at every hour exactly; one o'clock, two o'clock, and so on. For example, “The shuttle to New York departs on the hour.” so the last expression “every hour” in the original text is redundant.
    Sorry. In reality, saying something happens "on the hour" doesn't always automatically mean it continues 24 hours a day. Contexts vary, and adding the phrase "every hour" is a common way to emphasize that it does indeed continue around the clock. So, feel free to argue away about how redundant it may be, but that doesn't stop "on the hour, every hour" from being a very common expression. Leave it be.

Greg
    Last edited by dragn; 15-May-2009 at 18:23.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: handicapped toilets or handicap toilets / on the hour

Agreeing completely with Dragn's answer.

An "on the hour" example:
    In my neighborhood, the Nine Mile Road bus runs on the hour. The Woodward Avenue bus runs every hour on the hour. The difference is the Nine Mile bus stops running at 10:00PM every night. The Woodward bus runs 24 hours daily.