Thread: Usage and use

Post Thanks / Like

Default Usage and use

Will you please explain to me the difference between 'usage' and 'use'? For instance, how would you say: usage of the word 'consumption' or use of the word 'consumption'?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Usage and use

USAGE and USE - Terms used by Widdowson (1978) to refer to two aspects of communicative performance
    a) the ability to produce correct sentences, or manifestations of the linguistic system = USAGE.
    b) the ability to use the knowledge of the rules for effective communication = USE.

http://www.btinternet.com/~ted.power/esl0320.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.
    As far as I unerstood I should say: Such usage of this word is a little bit strange, shouldn't I?

ksakakini is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ObjectivesVs competencies

Will show me the difference between the objectives of a lesson and the competencies

ksakakini is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ObjectivesVs competencies

what's the differences bewtewwn the objectives and competences of a lesson. Te second term is newly used.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ObjectivesVs competencies

Objectives- the aims, what you wish the students to learn
    Competencies- what you want them to be able to do with the language- putting their learning into action; you measure the success of the learning by the ability to do things with the language, so it moves away from traditional assessments

PS Please start new questions in new threads; that way you will get more answers more quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    USAGE and USE - Terms used by Widdowson (1978) to refer to two aspects of communicative performance
    a) the ability to produce correct sentences, or manifestations of the linguistic system = USAGE.
    b) the ability to use the knowledge of the rules for effective communication = USE.

Communicative language teaching
    ‘The usage of American spellings in British publications is to be deprecated,’ ‘The usage of water for washing cars is forbidden.’ Incorrect. The word required is use.

Usage means ‘that which has become customary’ or ‘that which has been established by long- standing use. Thus, though ‘it is me’ violates the grammatical rule that the verb to be should be followed by a complement in the nominative case, it has become established by usage, and must therefore be accepted.

There cannot be a wrong usage of a word, but there may be a wrong use of it.