Thread: Milk Duds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Milk Duds

It's one product of HERSHEY'S. They are milk chocolate covered caramel.

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/milkduds.asp

Why duds?!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Milk Duds

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    It's one product of HERSHEY'S. They are milk chocolate covered caramel.

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/milkduds.asp

Why duds?!
    I know 'em, and I love 'em!

dud is a word (plural, duds), and it means a useless or broken thing, but it's not the word coined by Hershey's. I believe, but have no proof of source, that Milk Duds is short for delicious buds of milk chocolate:

delicious buds => duds

A bud, as in a flower bud, is the shape of Milk Duds.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Milk Duds

Good point! Do you chew it or you simply put it in your mouth and let it melt?!

We don't have it in Taiwan. Maybe we do but I seldom shop munchies. I got one travel cup from NYC a few days ago. I ate one today! I didn't notice it is covered caramel so my first try was to chew it really HARD! Sheesh...it glued my upper and lower teeth.

My second try was chew it a little bit and let it melt. Num yum!!!!! Would Catssie like some milk chocolate buds!

Post Thanks / Like

Good point! Do you chew it or you simply put it in your mouth and let it melt?!

We don't have it in Taiwan. Maybe we do but I seldom shop munchies. I got one travel cup from NYC a few days ago. I ate one today! I didn't notice it is covered caramel so my first try was to chew it really HARD! Sheesh...it glued my upper and lower teeth.

My second try was chew it a little bit and let it melt. Num yum!!!!! Would Catssie like some milk chocolate buds!
    Another bit of info from the internet:

History:

The MILK DUDS candy name came about because the original idea was to have a perfectly round piece. Since this was found to be impossible, the word "duds" was used. The word "milk" was used to reflect the large amount of milk in the product.

I was wondering the same before and my take on it was that if you are looking for milk chocolate inside the candy, you will be disappointed to find any ...same thing with a round shell in a revolver that fails to go off. So it's like an ammo dud. But then, on the other hand, it wouldn't be good advertising by letting you think that caramel inside is not as important or pleasurable to eat.

Post Thanks / Like

Marylin's phrase says it all, "ammo dud".

No duds for me, but thanks anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Marylin's phrase says it all, "ammo dud".

No duds for me, but thanks anyway.
    I don't think you got it, Casiopea.

The ammo dud is only an example of where I thought the word "milk duds" originated from. A dud has no explosives inside and it's known as a blank. Therefore...I was thinking...the inside of the candy is a "blank" too...in other words, there is no chocolate inside but something else. That something else is the caramel.
    I figured though, as I mentioined before, that my theory was no good because it plays down the importance of the caramel and that in itself is poor advertising.
    Got it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    Another bit of info from the internet:

History:

The MILK DUDS candy name came about because the original idea was to have a perfectly round piece. Since this was found to be impossible, the word "duds" was used. The word "milk" was used to reflect the large amount of milk in the product.

I was wondering the same before and my take on it was that if you are looking for milk chocolate inside the candy, you will be disappointed to find any ...same thing with a round shell in a revolver that fails to go off. So it's like an ammo dud. But then, on the other hand, it wouldn't be good advertising by letting you think that caramel inside is not as important or pleasurable to eat.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dud
    Could be milk clothing.

I think the idea of Milk Duds is fun though. When I first bough it, I ONLY recognized these eye-catching words--Milk Duds, without knowing its meaning at all. I thought that was milk chocolate. But you are SOOOOO right, Marylin! I would expect some liquid milk inside of chocolate, but only to find out the solid. Do you like chocolate with wine in it? That wine tastes not wine at all!

Then I opened my Milk Duds travel cup, I took one. I found it was nothing about milk. It's everything about caramel. Treat or trick?!

Thanks for the history. It's a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dud
    Could be milk clothing.

I think the idea of Milk Duds is fun though. When I first bough it, I ONLY recognized these eye-catching words--Milk Duds, without knowing its meaning at all. I thought that was milk chocolate. But you are SOOOOO right, Marylin! I would expect some liquid milk inside of chocolate, but only to find out the solid. Do you like chocolate with wine in it? That wine tastes not wine at all!

Then I opened my Milk Duds travel cup, I took one. I found it was nothing about milk. It's everything about caramel. Treat or trick?!

Thanks for the history. It's a good one.
    Thank you!
    I also think it's a lot of fun to take words or whole pharses apart and then see what we all came up with! As it turns out my way of thinking was not what Hersheys had in mind but, nevertheless, I love dissecting words. Have you had Whoppers before? I think those chocolate candies should go by the name of "milk duds" because they are nice and fluffy inside...no caramel, no chocolaten, no peanuts...no fillers...just air. They are great num nums!!!