grizzlelee is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with punctuation

Hello.
    After staring at my story for hours upon hours (and suffering through a cold), I'm becoming a bit bleary-eyed. I would appreciate any help adding the appropriate punctuation (commas) to the sentences below.

Thank you.
    Mark

"Other citizens soon rallied around Charlie and on Election Day he was elected mayor of Johnstown in a sweeping victory. His tenure would be short-lived however when on inauguration day he was seen sleepwalking nude in public."

"Suddenly the sound of thunder arose and in the distance a gray cloud appeared."

"There mounted on the wall were two deer heads staring back at them."

"Sometimes I'll throw on some cheese but it really just depends."

"Town officials now began calling for the park's permanent closure but owners Ted and Betty Shanks remained adamant."

"They're great to huddle under. Plus when it's all over you can just hose it off."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with punctuation

bump

Post Thanks / Like

Any help whatsoever. Thank you.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,

Commas are often as much as matter of style as of grammar. Strict prescriptivists may tell you that you must have a comma before the conjuntion when joining to independent clauses, as well as after an introductory phrase. I tend to use more commas than many other writers. All of your sentences could stand as they are. However, if I wrote them, I'd put commas in as shown.
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlelee View Post
    Hello.
    After staring at my story for hours upon hours (and suffering through a cold), I'm becoming a bit bleary-eyed. I would appreciate any help adding the appropriate punctuation (commas) to the sentences below.

Thank you.
    Mark

"Other citizens soon rallied around Charlie, and on Election Day he was elected mayor of Johnstown in a sweeping victory. His tenure would be short-lived, however, when on inauguration day he was seen sleepwalking nude in public."

"Suddenly the sound of thunder arose, and in the distance a gray cloud appeared."

"There mounted on the wall were two deer heads staring back at them."

"Sometimes I'll throw on some cheese, but it really just depends." (Optional comma after "really.")

"Town officials now began calling for the park's permanent closure but owners Ted and Betty Shanks remained adamant." (I wouldn't put the comma before "but" but others may.)

"They're great to huddle under. Plus, when it's all over you can just hose it off." (Some may put a comma after "over.")