Thread: english1

mohammad Guest

Default english1

hi

Of the two, I like this the better.(can not we say,of the two,i like this better)

what does (I had as soon walk as ride) mean?

what do these mean {(The tone of my voice hadn't registered with Patty, just the words)(You are a guide ? Patty sized her up, obviously impressed)( the sky had cleared and the sun was shining brightly, drying our wet clothing)}.and (are this common in ordinary and daily conversation)

can we use this proverb in formal situation (Every dog has its day),if not give me the same as it that we can use in formal situation.

yours.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: english1

of the two,i like this (one) better- I wouldn't use 'the'

what does (I had as soon walk as ride) mean? I have no preference

what do these mean {(The tone of my voice hadn't registered with Patty, just the words) She missed my mood, just took the words at face value

(You are a guide ? Patty sized her up, obviously impressed)
    size up= evaluate someone
    ( the sky had cleared and the sun was shining brightly, drying our wet clothing)} .and (are this common in ordinary and daily conversation) It depends on the weather

can we use this proverb in formal situation (Every dog has its day),if not give me the same as it that we can use in formal situation.
    It really depends on what you are writing- you could always put it in inverted commas to be safe.