Unregistered Guest

Default what is difference between approperiate and proper?

can I say "proper time" instead of "appropriate time".

swedish meatball is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what is difference between approperiate and proper?

Could you give the context or the whole sentence that you are wanting to use these phrases in?

vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m not a teacher.

Hi

My modest answer is “Yes!” and “No!” at the same time.

On the one hand I know that there is a close likeness of both terms “appropriate time” and “proper time”.

Here are the definition of the adjective appropriate as well as its synonyms.
    appropriate adjective

1. Suitable for a particular person, condition, occasion, or place: apt, becoming, befitting, correct, felicitous, fit, fitting, happy, meet, proper, right, tailor-made..
    2. Suited to one's end or purpose: befitting, convenient, expedient, fit, good, meet, proper, suitable, tailor-made, useful.
    3. Consistent with prevailing or accepted standards or circumstances: deserved, due, fit, fitting, just, merited, proper,right, rightful, suitable.

appropriate = applicable, apt, befitting, congruous, correct, fit, fitting, meet, opportune, pertinent, proper, relevant, right, seasonable, spot-on, suitable, timely, to the point, well-chosen, well-suited.
    seasonable = in keeping with the time or the season.
    See Usage Note at seasonal . ... Meaning #2: done or happening at the appropriate or proper time ...
    seasonable = occurring or performed at the proper time; timely.
    On the other hand you should to know an another definition of the term “proper time”. It is adduced in the Wikepedia in connection with the particular expression of the “time standards”.
    In the theory of relativity, it is convenient to express results in terms of a spacetime coordinate system relative to an implied observer. An event is specified by one time coordinate and three spatial coordinates. The time measured by the time coordinate is referred to as coordinate time to distinguish it from proper time.
    In special relativity, the coordinate time (relative to an inertial observer) at an event is the proper time measured by a clock that is at the same location as the event, that is stationary relative to the observer and that has been synchronized to the observer's clock using the Einstein synchronization convention.
    I second the Swedish meatball’s request concerning the context of the usage of the terms in question in your practical example.

Regards,

V.

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say this to simplify: both have the same Latin root, 'proper', meaning for itself, but appropriate means fitting, suitable (by practicality or utility) and proper means clean, fair, just, correct, right (by morality or aesthetics).

purecopper is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I would say this to simplify: both have the same Latin root, 'proper', meaning for itself, but appropriate means fitting, suitable (by practicality or utility) and proper means clean, fair, just, correct, right (by morality or aesthetics).
    Thanks for your explanation. It is clear and straightforward.