Post Thanks / Like

Default Outskirt / Outskirts

out·skirt http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/g...4/JPG/pron.jpg ( P ) Pronunciation Key (outhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/g.../GIF/prime.gifskūrthttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/g...GIF/lprime.gif)
    n.
    The part or region remote from a central district, as of a city or town. Often used in the plural: on the outskirts of Paris.
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...6403&dict=CALD

What do these mean?
    1. The factory is on the outskirt of New Delhi.
    2. The factory is on the outskirts of New Delhi. (How come it is 'outskirts' ? How can one factory be at more then one area?)

What do these mean?
    3. The factory is in the outskirts of New Delhi.
    4. The factory is on the outskirts of New Delhi.

Thanks.

M56 Guest

Default Re: Outskirt / Outskirts

Outskirts is correct. The term comes from a time when many women wore many outskirts and not just one. So, we see the outskirts as one thing, one entity. That is the reason why the factory (singular) can be on the outskirts (perceived as singular). Then again, why should it be any different from: "The fly is on the bananas"?

One fly, somewhere on the bananas.

Post Thanks / Like

Then again, why should it be any different from: "The fly is on the bananas"?

One fly, somewhere on the bananas.
    I sitll don't get it. Why is it 'One fly, somewhere ont he banana.'? How come it is 'bananas'? One fly on more than one banana? That fly has to be immense?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    I sitll don't get it. Why is it 'One fly, somewhere ont he banana.'? How come it is 'bananas'? One fly on more than one banana? That fly has to be immense?
    'somewhere on the bananas' means, the fly could be anywhere on the bunch of bananas.

'outskirts' means, the outer area of a town.

M56 Guest

Well, it's also a question of being general or specific.

Specific: The fly is on the second banana from the left right in the middle of that banana. (bananas can be seen a plural or singular)

General: The fly is on the bananas (the bunch of bananas = plural)

Specific: The factory is on the outskirts at the junction of highway 5 and 21. (the "bunch" of skirts. We don't see the skirts as singular -even though they could be seen that way. It is a language convention)

General: The factory is on the outskirts. (the "bunch" of skirts. We don't see the skirts as singular -even though they could be seen that way. It is a language convention)

Post Thanks / Like

'somewhere on the bananas' means, the fly could be anywhere on the bunch of bananas
    1. Somewhere in the (basket of) bananas. (So 'basket of' can be omitted?)

'outskirts' means, the outer area of a town.
    What does 'outskirt' mean then? My dictionary says 'outskirts' means 'the outter areas of a town'

Is this incorrect?
    2. My dictionary says 'outskirts' mean 'the outter areas of a town' (What's the subject and what's the verb? Is 'outskirts' the secondary subject and is 'mean' the secondary verb? 'outskirts'= one word, so 'mean' should be 'means' right?)
    Thanks.

M56 Guest

<[QUOTE=jack]1. Somewhere in the (basket of) bananas. (So 'basket of' can be omitted?)>

Unless you want to specify that the bananas are in a basket, yes, it can be omitted.

<What does 'outskirt' mean then? My dictionary says 'outskirts' means 'the outter areas of a town'>

Outskirt means the outer limits of the city or town, but it is almost always used in the plural.

The more complete dictionary definition would be:

The word "outskirts" means "the outer areas of the town".

"The word" is "it" (third person singular) so it should be "means".

Ques: "What does outskirts mean?"

Ans:"It means ... . "

Post Thanks / Like

1. Somewhere in the (basket of) bananas. (So 'basket of' can be omitted?)
    Yes, it can be omitted in that context, but the sentence in question was:

There's a fly somewhere on the bananas.

'basket of' is not implied there.

What does 'outskirt' mean then?
    I don't know. Is it an English word?

Is this incorrect?
    My dictionary says 'outskirts' mean 'the outter areas of a town' (What's the subject and what's the verb? Is 'outskirts' the secondary subject and is 'mean' the secondary verb? 'outskirts' = one word, so 'mean' should be 'means' right?)
    . . . outskirts means, . . . .

My dictionary (Subject)
    says (Verb)
    outskirts (Subject)
    means (Verb)

Please note, the word outer has one -t-, not two.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Specific: The factory is on the outskirts at the junction of highway 5 and 21. (the "bunch" of skirts. We don't see the skirts as singular -even though they could be seen that way. It is a language convention)
    This is helpful.

M56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

I don't know. Is it an English word?
    SYLLABICATION: out·skirt
    PRONUNCIATION: outskūrt
    NOUN: The part or region remote from a central district, as of a city or town. Often used in the plural: on the outskirts of Paris

http://www.bartleby.com/61/83/O0168300.html