Aiduch is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default short essay, grammar check

Could you check my essay please? :)

Exams should be banned.
    Opinion essay.

Vast majority of students detest exams. Although they have to spend lot of time cramming, the final results reflect neither their knowledge, nor effort. So, should exams be banned? I heartily demur this opinion.
    Firstly, it is clear that people spend more time studying for things on which they are going to be examined. I reckon that a little enforcement is obligatory for better effects. In my opinion, students would feel it is idle to learn, if there were no exams.
    Another thing is people usually want to get accepted to the best possible school. The school ranking are based on exam results. So, if there were no exams, it would be impossible to distinguish worthy university from others.
    Finally, the feeling we get after getting a good grade on an exam is one of the best on the earth. The moment of victory is worth everything, be it spending a long hours on cramming and a lot of stress.
    On the other hand, there is no proof that exam results are relevant. For instance, more and more students are cheating these days. But in my opinion, majority of students is aware of fact that it is better to study than to copy, and that it is better to have a big knowledge, than a good grade.
    To sum up, I am absolutely convinced that exams are necessary. They demand an effort, and also teach us self-discipline.

mrks is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: short essay, grammar check

I'm not exactly an expert but seeing that most of this kind of threads go unread, I'm willing to help to the best of my abilities.
    If you like you could check out my texts maybe you see something I myself would have missed.
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ed...proofread.html

Anyways here's my suggestions. Mind the fact that if I didnt comment or correct some passages I am not just 100% sure if I should say something.

The vast majority of students detest exams. Although they have to spend a lot of time cramming (cramming what?), the final results reflect neither their knowledge, nor effort. So (deleted the comma) should exams be banned? I heartily demur this opinion.
    Firstly, it is clear that people spend more time studying for things on which they are going to be examined. I reckon that a little enforcement is obligatory for better effects. In my opinion, students would feel it is idle to learn, if there were no exams.
    Another thing is people usually want to get accepted to the best possible school. The school ranking(s?) are based on exam results. So, if there were no exams, it would be impossible to distinguish worthy university (either a worthy uni... or worthy universities) from others.
    Finally, the feeling we get after getting a good grade on an exam is one of the best on the earth. The moment of victory is worth everything, be it spending (del'd the a) long hours on cramming (object?) and a lot of stress.
    On the other hand, there is no proof that exam results are relevant (do you want to say "accurate"?). For instance, more and more students are cheating these days. But in my opinion, the majority of students is aware of the fact that it is better to study than to copy (del'd the comma) and that it is better to have (del'd the a) big (vast, diverse?) knowledge (comma) than a good grade.
    To sum up, I am absolutely convinced that exams are necessary. They demand an effort, and also teach us (prob. better without the us)self-discipline.