Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: short sleeve

  1. #1
    Will17 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool short sleeve

    Hi there,

    I need your help!

    Can you tell me which is best?:

    -A short sleeve cardigan/ a short sleeved cardigan?

    -A short sleeve waistcoat/ a short sleeved waistcoat?


    According to the internet, it is more common to say "short sleeve" for a cardigan and "short sleeved" for a waistcoat, but i don't understand why.

    Thanks
    W

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: short sleeve

    Quote Originally Posted by Will17 View Post
    Hi there,

    I need your help!

    Can you tell me which is best?:

    -A short sleeve cardigan/ a short sleeved cardigan?

    -A short sleeve waistcoat/ a short sleeved waistcoat?


    According to the internet, it is more common to say "short sleeve" for a cardigan and "short sleeved" for a waistcoat, but i don't understand why.

    Thanks
    W
    Cardigans have sleeves - short-sleeved or full length sleeves
    Waistcoats do not have any sleeves - sleeveless.

  3. #3
    Will17 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Re: short sleeve

    What do you call a cardigan that is NOT knitted?

    Thanks

    W

  4. #4
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: short sleeve

    Quote Originally Posted by Will17 View Post
    What do you call a cardigan that is NOT knitted?

    Thanks

    W
    A jacket

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: short sleeve

    Why would a cardigan have short sleeves? Are you sure it's not a vest?

  6. #6
    Searching for language is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: short sleeve

    Quote Originally Posted by nonsense View Post
    Why would a cardigan have short sleeves? Are you sure it's not a vest?

    A cardigan certainly can have short sleeves. I have one. A vest has no sleeves. At least in Canadian English.

Similar Threads

  1. [Idiom] When tall is tall and short is short [written]
    By onesavage in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-May-2009, 15:49
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-May-2008, 11:56
  3. small built, a little short of pretty
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2008, 23:18
  4. fall short of
    By Korusan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2006, 06:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •