Kily Guest

difference between "as if" and "as though&quo

Help! What is the difference between "as if" and "as though"??????

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only difference I see is that "as if" is used more often. According to the way they are used, I see no difference in meaning.

"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."--- Churchill

"Through this series of secrets, they each act as if nothing happened."

"Either StuffIt Expander launches and then immediately quits as if nothing happened, or I get an error."

"Men sometimes stumble upon the truth, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened" ~ Winston Churchill

"Was it possible for life to go on as if nothing happened?"

"After the engine dies, the lights and instruments come back as if nothing happened and the engine starts as if nothing happened."

"He continued with his initial demagogy as if nothing happened in the
    meantime, not being aware of the irony of his own act."

"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves
    up and hurry off as if nothing happened." -- Sir Winston Churchill.

"By printing this article . . . you are saying it's perfectly all right to accept affairs and continue on as if nothing happened."

"Anyone who has ever survived the pain of marriage breakup and subsequent reconciliation would never suggest that people would continue on as if nothing happened."
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"The space that the memory disc occupied will close as though nothing
    happened."

"Unmanifest God is Most Manifest; casually walk away as though nothing
    happened."

"Tul Karm: no senior officer took the trouble to come to the scene of the incident and the soldiers continued with their daily routine as though nothing happened."

"Interesting to me that since the end of June last year, it would seem as though nothing happened in my life."

"Forgiveness refuses to let destructive behavior continue as though nothing happened."

"Pride and Webster were worried about the consequences of her
    escapades but they tried to act as though nothing happened."

"A couple of minutes later come back in and sit back down. Act as though nothing happened. Do this every 20 minutes.

"Do not act as though nothing happened."

"You're back where you began without having turned at all. It's as though nothing happened."

===============================================

"I have such respect for those who do have kids. I was up just as if he
    was a child every 3 hours with feedings, changings, and illnesses."

"Frankenstein was smiling. He felt the same as I did. It was a game now, and playing it made him feel as if he was a child again."

"They were treating him as if he was a child and he is offended."

"He didn't feel this like a reproach; the Marionette felt it as if he was a child whose mother should always be there with milk and deep warm arms that encircle ... "

"He held her so tightly in return it was as if he was a child trying to hold onto a toy he had longed for so much and was about to get taken away."

"He curled up at my side and wrapped one arm around my chest, hugging
    me close to his body as if he was a child afraid of the dark."

"Slavatore Mancini was immensley impressed. He reached out and touched the hood of the car, as if he was a child and the car was a favorite toy."

"First she had treated him as if he was a child, but after a day or two, once he finally had his wits back, he asked to be treated as a peer."

"Shirley loved her cat CJ and treated him as if he was a child, and he truly believes he is."

"He was tired of people always telling him he had to be watched, as if he was a child or something."

"He was beaten and forced to act as though he was a child suicide bomber."

"It seemed as though he was a child, seven years of age."

"He grew up at 19 Oak Street on the eastern side of Keene near Robin Hood Park. Hebert says he felt as though he was a child of the park."

"I tucked Ray in as though he was a child, smoothing the unruly spikes back."

"For the past five years, he was detoxed every four to five months and never needed any Seizure Supplement again. We fed him as though he was a child."

"Hamlet showed no respect to Polonius and talked of him as though he was a child."

"... I had no choice!”. “Of course you did,” he hated it when
    she spoke to him as though he was a child, or worse, an old man."

"Martin stayed very still. I walked around him, softly speaking to him as though he was a child: one who had no choice but to obey the more powerful companion."

"... not to move out of a small square on the line, and, after he dropped his knife and moved to pick it up, the foreman screamed at him as though he was a child."

"The voice was speaking to Cyrus as though he was a child."
    There is no difference in the way they are used. They mean the same thing.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Ron said.