Thread: english4

1. mohammad

english4

hi

dear teacher

how is the frequency of (ainot)among native speaker, can we use it alot, if yes doesnot show we are an illiterate person.because i read a context that most illiterate use this.

I have question about past perfect i have read a context that it said native speaker use simple past instead of past perfect so according to this, is it possible to say(when i got home my brother went out).i mean my brother's action has happend before my action

2. M56

Re: english4

Hi Mohammad.

I'm afraid I don't know what you are asking about in the first part of your post. As to the second part, it is true that in some situations simple past can be used instead of past perfect. What you need in your example is not "went out" but "was out" - meaning he had left before you arrived.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: english4

I assume you mean the use of "ain't". This is very common in colloquial English, and doesn't necessarily mean that the speaker is uneducated. Its use is not confined to illiterate people- in British English, it was commonly used by the upper classes. However, it is not used in formal English and many traditional grammarians dislike it. Don't use it in tests or writing.