Thread: english5

1. mohammad

Red face english5

hi

dear teacher

I have question about past perfect i have read a context that it said native speaker use simple past instead of past perfect so according to this, is it possible to say(when i arrived at party my friend leaved the party).

or this should be (when i arrived at party my friend had leaved the party) of course i asked it before and one of the teacher said it(usig past instead of past perfect)has specific condition and situation please tell me what kind of situation.

yours.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: english5

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad
    hi

dear teacher

I have question about past perfect i have read a context that it said native speaker use simple past instead of past perfect so according to this, is it possible to say(when i arrived at party my friend leaved the party).

or this should be (when i arrived at party my friend had leaved the party) of course i asked it before and one of the teacher said it(usig past instead of past perfect)has specific condition and situation please tell me what kind of situation.

yours.
    had is generally omitted in contexts that have after or before. Both express a time sequence, so past perfect had isn't necessary:

After I arrived at the party, my friend left. (Note, leave, left, not *leaved)
    Before I arrived at the party, my friend left.

Past perfect had tells us which event happened first, so if after and before are also used, then had is unecessary:

My friend left after I had arrived.
    Event #1: I arrived
    Event #2: My friend left.
    => had goes with Event#1.
    My freind left after I arrived.

Before I arrived at the party my friend had left.
    Event #1: My freind left.
    Event #2: I arrived at the party.
    => had goes with Event#1.
    Before I arrived at the party my friend left