• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fill out/ packed/ run down/ sticky/ by sheer coincidence/ laid off/ litigation backgr

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

1. I’ll just have to fill out this form for our records. What’s your name?

fill out = write all the required information onto a form

2. Sorry! The canteen was absolutely packed and I had to wait for ages. Then when I got to the front of the queue they had hardly any food left. So I had to get you a slice of pizza. I’m sorry.

packed = crowded

for ages = for an extended period of time

3. Now following on from what we were discussing last week in Susan’s tutorial on approaches to marketing, you were going to give us a quick run down on a new strategy for pricing which is now being used by many large companies known as “revenue management” … before we go on to your actual tutorial paper on Sales Targets. Is that correct?

run down = a point-by-point summary

revenue management = yield management

4. Threads which are important but rarely receive posts are sticky [stuck]. A sticky [stuck] thread will always appear in front of normal threads.

sticky = painful or difficult

5.By sheer coincidence Nayef’s last day at Lehman Brothers' was also the firm's last day.

by sheer coincidence = by pure coincidence

6. I was laid off and I can’t find a position with low firm. I take a company even with my litigation background.

laid off = having lost your job

litigation background = prosecution experience

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: fill out/ packed/ run down/ sticky/ by sheer coincidence/ laid off/ litigation ba

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    3. Now following on from what we were discussing last week in susan’s tutorial on approaches to marketing, you were going to give us a quick run down on a new strategy for pricing which is now being used by many large companies known as “revenue management” … before we go on to your actual tutorial paper on sales targets. Is that correct?

Revenue management = yield management
    maybe. Since it is presented as a "new strategy for pricing which is now being used by many large companies" it quite possibly has some specific trendy factors, and has been proposed or popularised by a particular economist. So, it's not just any old revenue/yield management strategy - it's a particular one.

4. Threads which are important but rarely receive posts are sticky [stuck]. A sticky [stuck] thread will always appear in front of normal threads.

Sticky = painful or difficult no, "sticky" is used in the sense of "adhesive" - "stuck" as you say. It's not necessarily difficult; it's important, so it's pasted/ glued/ stuck/ permanently attached in a prominent place.

the rest are close enough
    r.