Post Thanks / Like

Passive or Active

Dear readers,

First of all, what a great website! I think it's really nice everyone tries to share their knowledge! Great!

Then my question. For a paper, I'm measuring the use of passive versus active voice. Therefor I am labeling all the nouns active or passive. This task sent me to this website, since I'm not a grammar star.
    For some words I'm not sure if I have labbeled them right. Is their anyone who would want to help me and check some of my texts?

Examples are:

At King's College, the future leaders of colonial society could receive an education designed (verb or not? If a verb, active or passive?) to "enlarge the Mind, improve the Understanding, polish the whole Man, and qualify them to support the brightest Characters in all the elevated stations in life."

However, the institution continued to exert a significant influence on American life through the people associated (verb or adverb? If a verb, active or passive?) with it.

Also, are words like "the building of a school" the enrichment, expansion verbs of nouns?

Thank you so much in advance!

PS: I'd be willing to do something for you in return!

sash2008 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Passive or Active

[quote=amy-gurl84;480153]Dear readers,

receive an education designed (verb or not? If a verb, active or passive?)

It is passive but with removing the verb to be
    its deep structure is " receive an education which is designed "

ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــ
    influence on American life through the people associated (verb or adverb? If a verb, active or passive?) with it.

It is passive but with removing the verb to be
    its deep structure is "through the people who are associated "

designed and associated are called passive participial adjectives.

ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ ـــــــــــــــــــــ
    Also, are words like "the building of a school" the enrichment, expansion verbs of nouns?

"building" is a gerund.
    "enrichment" and "expansion" are nouns.

Not a teacher.
    Last edited by sash2008; 01-Jun-2009 at 04:16.

svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amy-gurl84 View Post
    I'd be willing to do something for you in return!
    Such an offer coming from a girl never fails to tempt me and makes my thoughts run amok. Just joking!

Sash is correct.

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are classic examples of the active and passive voices as I have been teaching them to my students for many years:

Active: The dog bit the man.

Passive: The man was bitten by the dog.

There are, of course endless variations, but essentially the subject and object have reversed position in the sentence.

Here is an active voice sentence you might recognize:

Then my question. For a paper, I'm measuring the use of passive versus active voice.

Here it is in the passive voice:

Then my question. For a paper, the use of active versus passive voice is being measured by me.

The object moves into the subject position, the action verb becomes a participle and the subject runs off to hide in a prepositional phrase.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so far :)
    I do know what passive and active voice is, but there are just some words that are awfully difficult to categorize :).
    I will post a text later on...hopefully someone will take a look for me :D

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so this is one of the texts, entirely. I have marked, at least as far as I know, all the verbs. All the red ones I think are passive and the blue ones are active.

I'd appreciate it if someone could check to see:
    - If i have indeed marked all verbs
    - If the labeling of active and passive is correctly
    ================================================== ==
    The University of San Francisco was established as the City of San Francisco's first institution of higher education by the Jesuit Fathers in October 1855. The original college, known first as St. Ignatius Academy, was located in a simple frame building 26 feet long by 16 feet wide. The Academy opened its doors as a "Jesuit college for the youth of the city" under the guidance of Father Anthony Maraschi, S.J., founder and first president. The original site of the institution, on the south side of Market Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets, is currently the Westfield Shopping Center.
    On April 30, 1859, the State of California issued a charter under the title of "Saint Ignatius College," empowering the College to confer degrees "with such literary honors as are granted by any university in the United States." The curriculum included courses in Greek, Spanish, Latin, English, French, Italian, algebra, arithmetic, history, geography, elocution, and bookkeeping.
    In 1862, a new building for the College was constructed on the same site, on Market Street between Fourth and Fifth. The 1862 catalog stated the purpose of St. Ignatius College as the "giving of a thorough classical, mathematical and philosophical education." In June 1863, the first bachelor of arts degree was conferred.
    In 1880, the College moved to a new building, which had been erected on Van Ness Avenue near the site of the Civic Center. This location currently is the site of the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall. Twenty-six years later, the 1906 San Francisco fire and earthquake destroyed the institution and all its laboratories, libraries, and art treasures. The College was relocated to "temporary" quarters at Hayes and Shrader Streets within the year. From 1906 to 1927, St. Ignatius College was known as "the shirt factory" because of its resemblance to a number of hastily built structures south of Market Street, some of which actually were shirt factories.
    In 1930, on the occasion of its Diamond Jubilee, at the request of alumni groups and civic, professional and industrial leaders of San Francisco, St. Ignatius College became the University of San Francisco.
    Since 1855, the University of San Francisco has grown with the city whose name it bears. Today, USF, with its 55 acres, is San Francisco's largest independent university campus, located on a hilltop near Golden Gate Park, and overlooking downtown San Francisco and the Pacific Ocean. The coeducational student body represents all geographic sections of the United States and over 80 countries. Although USF retains its rich Jesuit Catholic heritage, its students and faculty are from all religious backgrounds.
    The Jesuit traditions of scholarship and dedication to a liberal education are the foundation for all academic programs at USF. Undergraduate and graduate programs are offered in arts, sciences, business, and nursing. Professional programs are offered by the School of Nursing, School of Law, School of Business and Management, the College of Professional Studies, and the School of Education, which confers an Ed.D. degree.
    The Jesuits continue their commitment to the University they founded and are joined in that commitment by other religious and lay faculty. The University's humanistic tradition views the individual mind and spirit as its most valuable resources. The academic philosophy at USF emphasizes enrichment of personal values, expansion of personal responsibility, and lifelong learning.

greegorush is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello. I'll try but I'm not a native speaker nor a teacher.

Okay, so this is one of the texts, entirely. I have marked, at least as far as I know, all the verbs. All the red ones I think are passive and the blue ones are active.

I'd appreciate it if someone could check to see:
    - If i have indeed marked all verbs
    - If the labeling of active and passive is correctly
    ================================================== ==
    The University of San Francisco was established as the City of San Francisco's first institution of higher education by the Jesuit Fathers in October 1855. The original college, known first as St. Ignatius Academy, was located in a simple frame building 26 feet long by 16 feet wide. The Academy opened its doors as a "Jesuit college for the youth of the city" under the guidance of Father Anthony Maraschi, S.J., founder and first president. The original site of the institution, on the south side of Market Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets, is currently the Westfield Shopping Center.
    On April 30, 1859, the State of California issued a charter under the title of "Saint Ignatius College," empowering the College to confer degrees "with such literary honors as are granted by any university in the United States." The curriculum included courses in Greek, Spanish, Latin, English, French, Italian, algebra, arithmetic, history, geography, elocution, and bookkeeping.
    In 1862, a new building for the College was constructed on the same site, on Market Street between Fourth and Fifth. The 1862 catalog stated the purpose of St. Ignatius College as the "giving of a thorough classical, mathematical and philosophical education." In June 1863, the first bachelor of arts degree was conferred.
    In 1880, the College moved to a new building, which had been erected on Van Ness Avenue near the site of the Civic Center. This location currently is the site of the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall. Twenty-six years later, the 1906 San Francisco fire and earthquake destroyed the institution and all its laboratories, libraries, and art treasures. The College was relocated to "temporary" quarters at Hayes and Shrader Streets within the year. From 1906 to 1927, St. Ignatius College was known as "the shirt factory" because of its resemblance to a number of hastily built structures south of Market Street, some of which actually were shirt factories.
    In 1930, on the occasion of its Diamond Jubilee, at the request of alumni groups and civic, professional and industrial leaders of San Francisco, St. Ignatius College became the University of San Francisco.
    Since 1855, the University of San Francisco has grown with the city whose name it bears. Today, USF, with its 55 acres, is San Francisco's largest independent university campus, located on a hilltop near Golden Gate Park, and overlooking downtown San Francisco and the Pacific Ocean. The coeducational student body represents all geographic sections of the United States and over 80 countries. Although USF retains its rich Jesuit Catholic heritage, its students and faculty are from all religious backgrounds.
    The Jesuit traditions of scholarship and dedication to a liberal education are the foundation for all academic programs at USF. Undergraduate and graduate programs are offered in arts, sciences, business, and nursing. Professional programs are offered by the School of Nursing, School of Law, School of Business and Management, the College of Professional Studies, and the School of Education, which confers an Ed.D. degree.
    The Jesuits continue their commitment to the University they founded and are joined in that commitment by other religious and lay faculty. The University's humanistic tradition views the individual mind and spirit as its most valuable resources. The academic philosophy at USF emphasizes enrichment of personal values, expansion of personal responsibility, and lifelong learning.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Gree,

Thank you for responding. If I'm looking at this alright you changed two things? Kinda sloppy by me, because here in my text on paper I had seen known and learning as verbs. Though I had known as an active verb. Learning is a passive verb, right?

greegorush is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Gree,

Thank you for responding. If I'm looking at this alright you changed two things? Kinda sloppy by me, because here in my text on paper I had seen known and learning as verbs. Though I had known as an active verb. Learning is a passive verb, right?
    Here are the words I marked:
    (is) known - passive
    has grown - present perfect (active)
    (is) located - passive
    overlooking - active (adverbial participle, think it sounds so)
    learning - this is a noun of the verb "learn" (well-known as "gerund")

I should repeat that I'm not a teacher so I might be wrong