Post Thanks / Like

Default mandative trigger verbs

I have two questions about mandative subjunctive.

1) Is "claim" a mandative trigger verb like insist, command, order, suggest, etc?
    In the following sentence, the madative subjunctive clause is correctly used because claim is a mandative trigger verb?
    He claimed that golden rings (should) be exchanged by couples when they married since gold was considered as a pure metal.

2) Only a certain number of verbs is exclusively classified as a a mandative trigger verb or any verb can be used as a mandative trigger verb only if it has mandative meaning and functions as such a verb in a sentence?

Thank you.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: mandative trigger verbs

1 I don't see the mandative element in your sample sentence. The speaker is, I assume, using 'claim' to mean that the original speaker stated the stuff about wedding rings as a fact; I can't see a suggestion or command there. If someone proclaimed this, as a way of ordering the use of gold from that date on, it would be different, but in this sentence, the verb is not being used in a way like claiming a reward, etc, though off-hand, I can't think of a way of turning this other into a sentence with the form you're after. I should probably mention that I am a British English speaker and rarely use the present subjunctive, but even the 'should be' wouldn't work for me.

2 It's not a term in very wide use but, for my money, any verb that meets the criteria can be termed as such. In a wider sense, I believe that if a word, phrase, etc, meets the definition laid out for any grammatical term, then it's fair to include it. If it's a verb, mandative and triggers the subjunctive among English variants that use the subjunctive, then who has the right to say it cannot be included because there is an exclusive list and it is not on it?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

1 I don't see the mandative element in your sample sentence. The speaker is, I assume, using 'claim' to mean that the original speaker stated the stuff about wedding rings as a fact; I can't see a suggestion or command there. If someone proclaimed this, as a way of ordering the use of gold from that date on, it would be different, but in this sentence, the verb is not being used in a way like claiming a reward, etc, though off-hand, I can't think of a way of turning this other into a sentence with the form you're after. I should probably mention that I am a British English speaker and rarely use the present subjunctive, but even the 'should be' wouldn't work for me.

2 It's not a term in very wide use but, for my money, any verb that meets the criteria can be termed as such. In a wider sense, I believe that if a word, phrase, etc, meets the definition laid out for any grammatical term, then it's fair to include it. If it's a verb, mandative and triggers the subjunctive among English variants that use the subjunctive, then who has the right to say it cannot be included because there is an exclusive list and it is not on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Dear teacher,

I really appreciate your kind explanation.
    Thank you very much.