Thread: grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Default grammar

The fewer vehicles people purchase, the fewer vehicles will be on the road. Traffic jams, car accidents, air pollution might decrease as a result. Likewise, the fewer cigarettes people purchase, the better the environment is.

Are the sentences above grammatically incorrect? Could anyone help me with this?

Thank you!!!

Dany is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by bread
    The fewer vehicles people purchase, the fewer vehicles will be on the road. Traffic jams, car accidents, air pollution might decrease as a result. Likewise, the fewer cigarettes people purchase, the better the environment is.

Are the sentences above grammatically incorrect? Could anyone help me with this?

Thank you!!!
    Hello bread,

I will try to correct you.

The fewer vehicles will be purchase the fewer vehicles will be on the road. Traffic jams, car accidents, air pollution might be decrease as a result. Likewise, the fewer cigarettes are buy the merrier for the environment.

I'm not sure whether everything is correct. Other opinions are welcome

Kind regards,
    Dany

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

The fewer vehicles people purchase, the fewer vehicles will be on the road. Traffic jams, car accidents, and (the comma before is optional) air pollution might decrease as a result. Likewise, the fewer cigarettes people purchase, the better (cleaner the air??)the environment (sounds better without the verb).

Dany is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    The fewer vehicles people purchase, the fewer vehicles will be on the road. Traffic jams, car accidents, and (the comma before is optional) air pollution might decrease as a result. Likewise, the fewer cigarettes people purchase, the better (cleaner the air??)the environment (sounds better without the verb).

Hello tdol,

I've got one question of your correction. Why did'nt you use the passiv-form?