ExtravaganzZza is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Literary analysis of the text

Hi everybody, I need your help. I have to do aalisys of a prose fiction text. It is so difficult for me...
    Please help..

Here it the text has to been analysed:

The doctor spent a long time with her in the bedroom, alone, sitting on the edge of the bed, asking questions. She stared at him most of the time with pallid, boring eyes. After a time he went downstairs and gave Mortimer a pipe of tobacco and walked about the yard, among the crying geese, and talked to me.
    “All she can talk about is how she’s been no good to me,” Joe said. “How I’m not to go near her. How she hates herself. How she’s been a failure all the time.”
    The doctor did not answer; the geese cried and squawked among the barns.
    “Neither one of us is sleeping well,” Joe said. “I can’t stand it much longer.”
    “Was there something that began it?”
    “The calf. We lost a calf about three weeks ago. She blamed herself for that.”
    “Never thought of going away from here?” the doctor said.
    “Away?”
    “How long have you lived here?”
    “Five and twenty years. Nearly six and twenty.”
    “I believe you might do well to move,” the doctor said.
    “Move? Where to? What for?”
    “It might be that everything here has the same association. This is where she wanted he children and this is where she never had them. She might be happier if you moved away from here.”
    “She misses children. She’d have been all right with children,” Joe said.
    “Think it over,” the doctor said. “She needs a rest too. Get her to take it a little easier. Ger a girl to help in the kitchen and with the hens. It’ll be company for her. Perhaps she won’t think of herself so much.”
    “All right. It upsets me to see her break her heart like that.”
    “I wish I were a farmer. You know what I’d like to do?” the doctor said. “Grow nothing but corn. That’s the life. Give up practically everything but corn. With the cows and stocks and birds it’s all day every day. But with corn you go away and you come back and your corn’s still there. It’s wonderful thing, corn. That’s what I’d like to do. There’s something marvelous about corn.”
    The following spring they moved to a farm some distance up the hill. All their married lives they had lived on flat land, with no view except the hedges of their own fields and a shining stretch of railway line. Now they found themselves with land that ran away in a gentle slope, with a view below it of an entire broad valley across which trains ran like smoking toys.
    The girl who answered their advertisement for help was short and dark, with rather sleepy brown eyes, a thick bright complexion and rosy-knuckled hands. She called at the house with her mother, who did most of what talking there was.
    “She’s been a bit off colour. But she’s better now. She wants to work in the fresh air a bit. You want to work in the fresh air, don’t you, Elsie?”
    “Yes,” Elsie said.
    “She’s very quiet, but she’ll get used to you,” her mother said. “She doesn’t say much, but she’ll get used to you. She’s not particular either. You are not particular, are you, Elsie?”
    “No.” Elsie said.
    “She’s a good girl. She won’t give any trouble,” her mother said.
    “How old is she?” Mortimer asked.
    “Eighteen,” her mother said. “Eighteen and in her nineteen. She’ll be nineteen next birthday, won’t you, Elsie?”
    “Yes.” Elsie said.
    The girl settled into the house and moved about it with unobtrusive quietness. As she stood at the kitchen sink, staring down across the farmyard, at the greeting hedgerows of hawthorn and the rising fields of corn, she let her big-knuckled fingers wander dreamily over the wet surface of the dishes as if she were a blind person trying to trace the pattern. Her brown eyes travelled over the fields as if she were searching for something she had lost there.
    Something about this lost and dreamy attitude gradually began to puzzle Mrs. Mortimer. She saw in the staring brown eyes an expression that reminded her of the glazed eyes of a calf.
    “You won’t get lonely up there, will you?” she said. “I don’t want you to get lonely.”
    “No.” the girl said.
    “You tell me if you get anyways lonely, won’t you?”
    “Yes.” the girl answered.
    “I want you to feel happy here,” Mrs. Mortimer said. “I want you to feel as if you were one of our own.”
    As the summer went on the presence of the girl seemed occasionally to comfort Mrs. Mortimer. Sometimes she was a little more content: she did not despise herself so much. During daytime at least she could look out on new fields, over new distances, and almost persuade herself that what she saw was a different sky. But at night, in darkness, the gnaw of self-reproaches remained. She could not prevent the old cry from breaking out: “Don’t come near me. Not yet. Soon perhaps – but not yet.”
    Once or twice she even cried: “You could get someone else. I wouldn’t mind. I honestly wouldn’t mind. It’s hard for you. I know it is. I wouldn’t mind.”
    Sometimes Mortimer distracted too, got up and walked about the yard in summer darkness, smoking hard, staring at the summer stars.

And here is the anaysis scheme of a work of prose fiction

1. The author.
    2. Genre definition of the literary piece under consideration.
    3. Setting of the story.
    4. The theme of the tory.
    5. Point of view.
    6. Cohesion of the story (theme-rheme chains, lexical, conceptual, country-study chains).
    7. The charactes deicted in the story. The main character.
    8. The plot of the story.
    9. The types of speech employed by the author.
    10. The message/idea of the story.

ExtravaganzZza is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Literary analysis of the text

I have alredy started to do the analysis, but I can't move futher without anybody's help.

This is what I have started

The extract under consideration is a piece of prose fiction. The author is unknown. It is a piece of dramatic fiction.
    We don’t know at what period of history the actions took place we know that the events described in the story took place on one farm at first and some time at another one. The time length of the narrated events took place during more than a year.
    This extract runs about psychology of a person. The author depicts some psychology problems in the childless family of the two people, their worries and their feelings.

rocking is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

hello, i suggest you organize your ideas with the help of the scheme you were given.
    Try being a detective and find clues to the questions. You don't have to be totally correct but make some guess based on your discovery of the text. Enjoy your reading.

And here is the anaysis scheme of a work of prose fiction

1. The author.
    2. Genre definition of the literary piece under consideration.
    3. Setting of the story.
    4. The theme of the tory.
    5. Point of view.
    6. Cohesion of the story (theme-rheme chains, lexical, conceptual, country-study chains).
    7. The charactes deicted in the story. The main character.
    8. The plot of the story.
    9. The types of speech employed by the author.
    10. The message/idea of the story.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ExtravaganzZza View Post
    I have alredy started to do the analysis, but I can't move futher without anybody's help.

This is what I have started

The extract under consideration is a piece of prose fiction. The author is unknown. It is a piece of dramatic fiction.
    We don’t know at what period of history the actions took place we know that the events described in the story took place on one farm at first and some time at another one. The time length of the narrated events took place during more than a year.
    This extract runs about psychology of a person. The author depicts some psychology problems in the childless family of the two people, their worries and their feelings.
    I agree with rocking. You have been given a list - why not use it? For example:
    1. The author
    The author is unknown.
    3. Setting of the story.
    We don’t know at what period of history the actions took place we know that the events described in the story took place on one farm at first and some time at another one.

Doing it this way helps you to organise your ideas. Then, if you do need help, others can easily identify which aspects you haven't adequately covered.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

If the student is permitted to use online researches for his work, then he can trace the author: The best of H. E. Bates - Google Books