• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default have long ago done sth

I got the sentences below from Time Magazine Corpus. Is the structure 'have long ago done sth' acceptable to native speakers? Or 'have long since done sth' a much better structure? Thank you in advance.

I have long ago learned from my mirror that my face has no business before a camera.
    Kids have long ago learned that a nickel in their pocket is hardly enough to purchase a Popsicle...
    ...plain men every-where have long ago decided that its causes were not so simple nor its aims so noble.
    ...most have long ago concluded that the underlying causes are often biological and genetic.
    Our soldiers have long ago thrown away all their belongings, keeping only their rifles and ammunition...
    But since he and his wife have long ago stopped talking about their childlessness,...
    The American Army has long ago dropped the attitude that any five Americans could lick any five Germans automatically just because...

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: have long ago done sth

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    I got the sentences below from Time Magazine Corpus. Is the structure 'have long ago done sth' acceptable to native speakers? Or 'have long since done sth' a much better structure? Thank you in advance.

I have long ago learned from my mirror that my face has no business before a camera.
    Kids have long ago learned that a nickel in their pocket is hardly enough to purchase a Popsicle...
    ...plain men every-where have long ago decided that its causes were not so simple nor its aims so noble.
    ...most have long ago concluded that the underlying causes are often biological and genetic.
    Our soldiers have long ago thrown away all their belongings, keeping only their rifles and ammunition...
    But since he and his wife have long ago stopped talking about their childlessness,...
    The American Army has long ago dropped the attitude that any five Americans could lick any five Germans automatically just because...
    To my mind 'long since' is better after the verb 'to have'. You could say 'Kids learned long ago....' instead for example.