Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    silversea is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to learn English well

Hi everyone,
    I am new here and I also wish to better my English. I 'd like to share with you guys about this interesting topic. I think it is important to do the thinking in English because, as far as I know, Chinese is an isolating language which differs from English a great deal. Try to do that even though you may feel weird. Also, writing diary in English would help. If you still stay in China, the environment is by no means supportive. Come here and chat with us more often wow, that is exactly what I am doing now

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silversea
    Hi everyone,
    I am new here and I also wish to better my English. I 'd like to share with you guys about this interesting topic. I think it is important to do the thinking in English because, as far as I know, Chinese is an isolating language which differs from English a great deal. Try to do that even though you may feel weird. Also, writing diary in English would help. If you still stay in China, the environment is by no means supportive. Come here and chat with us more often wow, that is exactly what I am doing now
    I am not sure what you mean by saying that Chinese is an isolating language, but I would like to find out.

If you are able to think in a certain language that means that you have made that language a part of you to some extent.

I believe that keeping a diary in English would be a good way to learn English better. (It would "force" the person the think in English.)

Those are some good ideas you brought up Talk more!

silversea is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    I am not sure what you mean by saying that Chinese is an isolating language, but I would like to find out.

If you are able to think in a certain language that means that you have made that language a part of you to some extent.

I believe that keeping a diary in English would be a good way to learn English better. (It would "force" the person the think in English.)

Those are some good ideas you brought up Talk more!

Hi,
    Thanks for supporting me as these are my own ways of learning English.
    Well, an isolating language, in terms of morphology, contain only words that consist of a single morpheme, which means that this language has no affixes and categories such as number and tense would therefore have to be expressed by a separate word.
    Regarding English learning, I love chatting in English as well since this is like a conversation. In short, I would love to take any chances to use the target language which is English However, I am not making much progress

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: How to learn English well

Hi,everone:
    I've not come here for a long time,because I was busy with my exam (it's very important,if I succeed,I'll go to a good high school!).Now,I have finished it,I'll have a lot of time to discuss something about English here. I'm very happy!! But the exam about English is very difficult for me,I feel the mark about it can't be very good.
    Thank you for your advice and help!!
    K.Markaret

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Concerning this title, this is my big problem as well.
    I've just finished the second semester at a Teacher Training College of English.
    I am a correspondence student. My English is approx. high intermediate in reading, writing and listening but my speaking is much lower.
    I've been practising regularly at home- except the speaking because I don't have enough opportunities to do it. Next to nothing.
    So, I think my studying is not organised. I know the four skills mentioned above
    should be balanced but I just put my hand to everything, consequently, I feel
    that my English doesn't improve.
    I started studying English among native speakers four years ago and I can't continue at the table....
    Does anybody have a good advice?
    Alice

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: How to learn English well

Hi Alice,

I think you know that the only way to improve your speaking is .... by practicing a lot. So, it's important for you to find the opportunities to do so. One advice I can give you is chatting. These days many people don't type anymore while chatting, they use a headset to talk and listen. I am sure it will be no problem to find English speaking people on the internet who are willing to chat with you. I am a starting teacher myself. I am from belgium but I live and teach in Thailand. Like most people I use MSMessenger to chat EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead ... you're welcome ...
    I hope my advice can be of any use to you, anyway I wish you succes ....
    Greetz ... Erwin

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: How to learn English well

Hi,Alice1:
    Don't worry about it! I have a idea.I don't know if there are some "English Speaking Areas" in your city.(they are founded by some people who like Speaking English.Of course it's free!) If so, you can have a try. You can not only talk with them with Engish , but also make friends! One years ago, I tried it.It really can improve our English and it's an easiest and cheptest way!!
    Last edited by K.Margaret; 04-Jul-2005 at 08:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Erwin,
    Thank for your advice, you are right, but do you know how shy I am?
    Though I know it is a stupid thing.
    Talking by phone and using a foreign language is the most difficult way of conversation. You don't have any eye contacts with your partner, you can't keep showing with your hands, therefore, you have to possess enough vocabularies not to mention the grammar. Look, it is not easy.
    Anyway, I've installed MSN Messenger (and Skype) recently. Is it the same that you offered me? (=MSMessenger) My friends use them here. I haven't used them yet, I'm only getting to know them.
    You gave me your e-mail address...is it a possibility?
    Alice

Post Thanks / Like

Dear K.Margaret,
    Thank you for your idea, too. I'm sorry to tell you that it isn't an English-speaking setting thus, I don't have any possibilities to meet a person who speaks English well. (Well, it isn't absolutely true because some of my friends can speak English so-so but it would be very funny if we used it.)
    On the other hand I missed the chance for "making friends" -16 years ago-that you hinted at since I'm married.
    Alice

Redy is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

An Arabian guy told me: no secret to learning english well, you just need listen,listen,listen! and then read as much as possible, watch english movies.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast