Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do "closet curlies" and "flat iron" mean?

Curly vs. Straight: Which Do Men Prefer? - DivineCaroline
    First impressions count. Many closet curlies are married to a flat iron because they think men prefer the smooth, straight look over curls or kinks. And when you can maneuver your mane in either direction, you have the option of changing your visual impression when meeting someone new.

What do closet curlies and flat iron mean?

svartnik is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do "closet curlies" and "flat iron" mean?

There are people, women with curly hairs, who are obsessed with the practice of straightening their hair locks to give themselves a tidier??? appearance. I personally find women with curly hairs very intriguing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Flat iron? Flat iron is an electric device, a hot clip, used to straighten hairs.

Women are married to them means they spend a lot of time in the closet curling their hairs.

Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

closet curlies: women who wear hair locks on the head?

Post Thanks / Like

No. They are naturally curly, but straight-haired women.

'Closet' because they are always there. Curling hair is very time-consuming and women do that in the closet.

This is what I say:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...rts*2+0&dict=I

'Curlies' because even if their hairs are straight, they are technically still curlies.

Post Thanks / Like

Svartnik--there's actually a different meaning. Yours is not correct.

Closet curlies is using the word closet meaning hidden. For example, if we say someone is closeted we are saying he is gay but that fact is hidden. Just saying someone is closeted only has a meaning of hiding their homosexuality.

Our society has taken that term and made it more widespread. If I say someone is a closet alcoholic I mean that they are an alcoholic but keep it well hidden. Someone may also jokingly say that someone is a closet Backstreet Boys fan.

So your text is talking about curly haired women who straighten their hair everyday, but make everyone believe they have straight hair, not curly hair, and hide the fact that they have curly hair. They may even lie.

These women who hide the fact that they have curly hair NEED to have their straight iron so they may continue appearing to have straight hair.

A straight iron is like a curling iron, but it is used to straighten hair instead of curling it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teacherjulia View Post
    Svartnik--there's actually a different meaning. Yours is not correct.

Closet curlies is using the word closet meaning hidden. For example, if we say someone is closeted we are saying he is gay but that fact is hidden. Just saying someone is closeted only has a meaning of hiding their homosexuality.
    Hands on heart that this was my initial thought but another thought get the better of me.