Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: cold

  1. #1
    sash2008 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default cold

    polysemy or homonymy?

    cold

    ــ bodily sensation produced by loss or lack of heat *they died of the cold*/ a condition of low temperature *extremes of heat and cold*; especially : cold weather

    ــ having or being a temperature that is uncomfortably low for humans *it is cold outside today*

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: cold

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    polysemy or homonymy?

    cold

    ــ bodily sensation produced by loss or lack of heat *they died of the cold*/ a condition of low temperature *extremes of heat and cold*; especially : cold weather

    ــ having or being a temperature that is uncomfortably low for humans *it is cold outside today*
    It's the same word. cold = "low temperature".

    He has a cold
    (a viral infection). This is polysemous, if you believe that there is a connection between being cold and catching a cold; otherwise it's homonymous.

  3. #3
    sash2008 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: cold

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It's the same word. cold = "low temperature".

    He has a cold (a viral infection). This is polysemous, if you believe that there is a connection between being cold and catching a cold; otherwise it's homonymous.
    Thank you
    so, it is polysemy in
    I have a cold.
    It is very cold today.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: cold

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    Thank you
    so, it is polysemy in
    I have a cold.
    It is very cold today.
    Yes. (More or less)

Similar Threads

  1. [General] cold calling / warm calling / hot calling
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Apr-2009, 18:49
  2. [General] To catch a cold. To have a cold.
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Oct-2008, 14:11
  3. [General] cold chisel, cold metal, cold steel, cold iron
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Sep-2008, 11:47
  4. cold
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-May-2008, 08:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •