Post Thanks / Like

Post who can help me to draft a letter?

Hi, I am planning to wirte a email to my ex-superviser to require a recommend letter from her. But I just don't know how to write this email, I want to be polite, formal and effiency in this letter. Can you help me to draft this letter? Thank you.

Backgroud: My short term contract finished at the end of May. And my good performance was impressed them a lot but they just don't have enough buget to fed up this position. So they didn't extend my contract. My ex-superviser promised me that she will write a recommend letter for me to find another job. However, I guess maybe she is too busy to forget this matter. I just want to remind her to write a recomand letter for me (this recommand letter is better suitable for any type of work) and show my good attitude, if possible (of course they will publish new positioin) I would like to work with them again.

Thank you very much for your great help there!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: who can help me to draft a letter?

Perhaps something like this would be good:
    Dear Ms. (her name), I am contacting you because you so kindly agreed to write a letter of recommendation for me. I have not yet received this letter and I am hoping that you will be able to find time in your busy schedule to prepare it for me. I know that your recommendation would be very helpful in my efforts to secure another position. Thank you again for all that you have done for me. Respectfully, (or Sincerely,)
    I think it is best to be a bit more formal with authority figures, such as this, but perhaps another teacher will have a better point of view. I hope this gives you some ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigerpaws View Post
    Perhaps something like this would be good:
    Dear Ms. (her name), I am contacting you because you so kindly agreed to write a letter of recommendation for me. I have not yet received this letter and I am hoping that you will be able to find time in your busy schedule to prepare it for me. I know that your recommendation would be very helpful in my efforts to secure another position. Thank you again for all that you have done for me. Respectfully, (or Sincerely,)
    I think it is best to be a bit more formal with authority figures, such as this, but perhaps another teacher will have a better point of view. I hope this gives you some ideas.
    Dear tigerpaws, thank you for your great help there~~~~!!!!
    Last edited by Diana doll; 12-Jun-2009 at 09:45.

Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

tigerpaws's answer is fantastic.

Diana,

Your e-mail would be better if you added something like this: "If you don't mind, could you let me know when I may be able to receive the letter from you?"

I hope everything goes well.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    tigerpaws's answer is fantastic.

Diana,

Your e-mail would be better if you added something like this: "If you don't mind, could you let me know when I may be able to receive the letter from you?"

I hope everything goes well.
    Why do you consider this an improvement? It's asking the busy supervisor to write two letters instead of one.

Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Why do you consider this an improvement? It's asking the busy supervisor to write two letters instead of one.

Raymott,

If the supervisor were not able to quickly prepare a recommendatory letter for Diana, she might change her mind and ask somebody else. In my view, it won't hurt just to ask the boss when the letter will be ready.