Thread: Suburban Epic

tiny_toes Guest

Question Suburban Epic

wot on earth is a suburban epic

i mean do u hav 2 write it in a certain kind of style

duz nE1 know

thanx
    Last edited by tiny_toes; 17-Jan-2005 at 18:42.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suburban Epic

It depends on the interpretation of the word. In a strict sense, an epic is a kind of poem, which does have a certain style. Epics tend to use grand language, with complex, flowing vers, dealing with big themes. Epic poets like Homer deal with national historical events, while Milton and others look at religious events.

A suburban epic, however, could well be something else. You could try writing thirty thousand lines of poetry about the ebb and flow of life in the suburbs, but that might be difficult or impossible, and quite probably unreadable. What it could also mean, is a story of some sort that looks seriously at life in the suburbs, either though a dramatic story or through a serious study of the issues surrounding life there.

A tale of an extraordinary drama in the suburbs could be a suburban epic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_toes

duz nE1 know

thanx
    I also think the term suburban epic might be used in reference to certain kind of movies - the ones that are set up in a classical suburbia with mom and dad in the middle, plus their kid/s. There would be a lengthy story revolving around all the characters. Epic movies represent a certain genre within the cinematography. It could also be a long narrative poem about a hero and his deeds as pointed out by TDOL. They say Spielber's ET movie is an example of a suburban epic.

tiny_toes Guest

o i c

so it duznt really need special language

thank-u i woz pretty confuzed

Post Thanks / Like

duz nE1 know

thanx
    Welcome

Why not try "a kind of style" here, too?

Try,

What on earth is a suburban epic? I mean, do you have to write it in a certain kind of style. Does anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like

o i c

so it duznt really need special language

thank-u i woz pretty confuzed
    You are welcome Tiny Toes.

I don't know much about suburban epic even though googling brought up a few results.

The Suburbia has become a way of life in the 50's and 60's and it was a life of the middle class...mother, father, kids, new kitchen gadgets were being introduced like a washing machine, fridge, toaster, dishwasher etc. Those inventions were a huge breakthrough in the lives of many families and a status symbol as well. Dad was driving a huge American guzzler that only middle class folks could efford. This was a way of life that many Americans settled into quite comfortably.
    Now, there are probably many different styles of writing about suburban life. Erma Bombeck wrote a ton of books and all of them were about her life in a typical suburban setting. Her books are full of humor, funny dialogues and the notion of generation gap is explored on many levels and with a painful honesty. Some people say the books she wrote are of epic proportions because there are so many of them and all of them deal with the life of her own family in a typical American suburbia.

tiny_toes Guest

well i will try cuz i think i understand now

a suburban epic is a story that is about real life but in a suburb and the ppl in the story would talk like normal everyday ppl talk and there would be a message about life

a bit like a soap

they wouldnt use fancy language like shakespeare they wud talk like regular folks but the things they would talk about would be normal stuff

i think