Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Choose the right word

    "He is a real gentleman,____ a little pompous at times." (but/ whether/if/however).

    I chose but. Is this the right choice?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    jctgf is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Choose the right word

    Quote Originally Posted by mailan View Post
    "He is a real gentleman,____ a little pompous at times." (but/ whether/if/however).

    I chose but. Is this the right choice?

    Thanks.
    just a student.
    I'd choose "however". "But" doesn't sound wrong to me, though.
    just a student.

  3. #3
    Kenneth_Wai is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Choose the right word

    I also think that is a difference between connectives and conjunction.

    Because of the "comma" in front of the blank, I'd like to choose "however" instead of "but" for showing contrast.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Choose the right word

    Quote Originally Posted by mailan View Post
    "He is a real gentleman,____ a little pompous at times." (but/ whether/if/however).

    I chose but. Is this the right choice?

    Thanks.
    I'd choose but. Commenting about the sentence: The second part is a dependent clause; therefore, a comma is not needed. This is how I'd write.

    He is a real gentleman but a little pompous at times. or

    He is a real gentleman, but he is a little pompous at times. or

    He is a real gentleman; however, he is a little pompous at times.


    I hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Choose the right word

    'if'
    In this context, 'if' means
    "despite being a little pompous...
    "although perhaps a little pompous...
    The writer is asserting the man is 'a real gentleman'...and this is despite being/even though he is a little pompous.

    "She was honest, if a little brutal."
    Last edited by David L.; 17-Jun-2009 at 06:54.

  6. #6
    Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Choose the right word

    1. She was honest, if a little brutal.

    2. She's a good mother, if (she is) a little over-protective.
    The "if" here is the same thing as that of #1, isn't it?

  7. #7
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,734
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Choose the right word

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    1. She was honest, if a little brutal.

    2. She's a good mother, if (she is) a little over-protective.
    The "if" here is the same thing as that of #1, isn't it?
    Yes it is.

  8. #8
    Kenneth_Wai is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Choose the right word

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes it is.
    Hi Teacher bhaisahab!
    That means but and however should not be used in this kind of sentence?
    A little confused...

  9. #9
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,734
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Choose the right word

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth_Wai View Post
    Hi Teacher bhaisahab!
    That means but and however should not be used in this kind of sentence?
    A little confused...
    No, 'but' and 'however' can be used as well. 2. She's a good mother, however she is a little over-protective.

  10. #10
    Kenneth_Wai is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Choose the right word

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    No, 'but' and 'however' can be used as well. 2. She's a good mother, however she is a little over-protective.
    Yep, I caught your point!

    Rules:
    "if" is followed by a noun phrase;
    "however" is supposed to used as before a structured clause;
    "but" can be used with both phrase & clause.

    Am I absolutely right?

Similar Threads

  1. The meaning with no word . . .
    By ScaryEders in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-May-2009, 07:15
  2. [Grammar] The word: Capitated ? Cannot find word in dictionary?
    By RobertMay in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-Mar-2009, 19:22
  3. [General] discussion of the word 'ept'
    By garbanzo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-Mar-2009, 22:13
  4. Word Checker 1 - The Dolch basic word list
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2004, 15:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •