Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: staff has/have

  1. #1
    Tan Elaine is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default staff has/have

    Our staff has/ have worked hard.

    Which verb should I use?

    Many thanks.

  2. #2
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: staff has/have

    AmE: has
    BrE: has (individually)/have (collectively)

    Grammar Girl :: Collective Nouns

  3. #3
    Tan Elaine is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: staff has/have

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    AmE: has
    BrE: has (individually)/have (collectively)

    Grammar Girl :: Collective Nouns
    Thanks, Svartnik.

    I've gone through the link. However, if I am not wrong, 'staff' is not listed there. I may be wrong.

    Below are the definitions and examples of how to use the word 'staff' (from Collins Cobuild Dictionary).

    The staff of an organization are the people who work for it.
    The staff were very good...
    He thanked his staff.
    ...members of staff...

    2 N-PLURAL

    People who are part of a particular staff are often referred to as staff.
    10 staff were allocated to the task...

    If I am not wrong, for one person, it should be 'staff member'. I stand corrected.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: staff has/have

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Thanks, Svartnik.

    I've gone through the link. However, if I am not wrong, 'staff' is not listed there. I may be wrong.
    "There are around 200 collective nouns in the English language" OF course most of them are not listen on this one page.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Below are the definitions and examples of how to use the word 'staff' (from Collins Cobuild Dictionary).

    The staff of an organization are the people who work for it.
    The staff were very good...
    He thanked his staff.
    ...members of staff...

    2 N-PLURAL

    People who are part of a particular staff are often referred to as staff.
    10 staff were allocated to the task...


    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    If I am not wrong, for one person, it should be 'staff member'. I stand corrected.

    10 staff were allocated...
    I am a staff

    Thanks.
    The most important thing to remember (BrE):

    You just have to use your best judgment, and even though this seems tricky, the good news is that you can never really get it wrong because 1) there is no real rule, and 2) you can always just assert that you were thinking of the couple as individuals (or a unit) if someone questions your verb choice (2).

Similar Threads

  1. staff officer
    By dilermando in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2009, 12:21
  2. 'Staff' or 'Staffs'
    By edmondng in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Jan-2008, 13:20
  3. staff member/member of staff
    By kohyoongliat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Aug-2007, 08:41
  4. staff from? staff of?
    By hellokitty in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2006, 15:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •