ARYT is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Simpler = More Native?

Hey Everyone
    I’m sort of new here, but I’ve found this place very friendly.
    The question is sometimes I cannot figure out how to use the words so it may look simple and intelligible enough. I see the native speakers speaking with kind of confidence and they don’t twist the words or they don’t use complex forms of grammar. One the other hand, I have friends who know a lot of vocabularies, but still when they speak, it’s almost unpleasantly unlike a native speaker.
    This made me come up with this idea that I should make my sentences simpler.
    Any tip on how to make things less complicated
    BTW, I’ll be glad to receive corrections about anything I write here in this forum.
    Cheers
    Last edited by ARYT; 19-Jun-2009 at 21:40.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Simpler = More Native?

Obviously native speakers can speak their language well - but you should not compare yourself to them!! If they were learning your language, they would have difficulties and a strange accent too. Don't be shy to use the language that you have at this time, and as you learn more (and always read as much as you can in English) you will feel more comfortable. It is a good idea to think simplistically - Subject, verb, object, so that you don't get caught in complex structures, but as time goes on, trying new structures is what will help you improve. Keep asking questions, talking, writing, and reading.

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you read "Strunk and White: the Elements of Style" which shows you how to blend simple grammar with good clear style.

fargo2971 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

For some like us who were brought up, raised and educated using English as the medium of instructions it is easy to express ourselves. The effect of American colonization had a great impact on our country more so in the Northern part of Luzon ( which is the Cordillera).

I have proved this my self when I enrolled in the TEFL course here abroad where all my classmates were native English speakers. It was obvious because I was the only Asian in our class that I got intimidated during the first day of meeting on the orientation. But it came as a surprise to me that they thought I was an American citizen for I have an American accent.

I was amazed during those practice teaching to pre-intermediate and advanced level classes of Spanish students that I received a remarkable evaluation from the start of the course until the last course session. Some of them gave such a high recommendation that I got a good teaching job around here.

Teaching English could be hard more so if you´re not a native English speaker. The competition is tough. But somehow made easy when you have the right certificate to start with.
    Just my few cents share. CHEERS!!!
    Last edited by fargo2971; 19-Jun-2009 at 19:56.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Fargo, do you want your post corrected? Because it needs correction.

Post Thanks / Like

sure go ahead, i appreciate it much

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fargo2971 View Post
    For some like us who were brought up, and educated using English as the medium of instruction it is easy to express ourselves. The effect of American colonization had a great impact on our country more so in the Northern part of Luzon ( which is the Cordillera).

I proved this my self when I enrolled in the TEFL course here, where all my classmates were native English speakers. It was obvious that because I was the only Asian in our class I got intimidated during the first day of the orientation. But it came as a surprise to me that they thought I was an American citizen for I have an American accent.

I was amazed during the practice teaching of pre-intermediate and advanced level classes of Spanish students that I received a remarkable evaluation from the start of the course until the last course session. Some of them gave such a high recommendation that I got a good teaching job here.

Teaching English could be hard, more so if you´re not a native English speaker. The competition is tough. But somehow made easy when you have the right certificate to start with.
    Just my few cents. CHEERS!!!
    Bhai.

Post Thanks / Like

Madre Mia! too bad that I wasn´t watchful about those errors. Thanks a lot! I like this site.

ARYT is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the hope you give us, the semi-frustrated learners.
    Sometimes when I'm watching an old western movie dating back to some 30-40 years ago, I end up telling myself "Damn, I cannot understand even 50% of what they're saying".
    But once, one of my friends told me "dude, I also cannot understand some of the words myself as a native speaker. We, the native speakers admire any little bit of effort anyone puts to learn our language. I'm too lazy myself to learn another language; Godspeed bro!"
    BTW, how do you evaluate me overall?
    Any mistake so far?
    One more thing, can you please give me a text so I can read from and upload my recorded voice somewhere so you can comment on my accent too?
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Do not worry about making your sentences "less complex". There is nothing wrong with speaking a language in an educated manner. A lot of word and sentence structure choices are just rooted in the culture, but as long as you are getting your point across and using correct English, there is no problem.

I often see new English speakers using the language exactly how they read it from English books. Native speakers don't use it exactly that way, but we can all understand it.

In time, you will understand more about word and sentence choices, because there are many more native speakers (both live and in movies, TV, etc.) than there are English books :)