DianaDurko Guest

Smile Old- fashioned or new?

Hello! I'm Diana from Ukraine (that's NOT Russia). I'm an English language teacher and I've got some tricky questions getting the answers for which is difficult since teachers have varying opinions. Could you be so kind as to help me and tell me what you use nowadays?Well, firstly, do you use shall/should for I/WE? As far as I know, it's in the past, but our teachers still use them this way. Secondly, do you use the word "pupil" ? one more thing that I was taken aback with is the usage of "Don't let's go there".How can we say "don't let's"? is it possible at all?it sounds so awkward! Moreover, how do you differenciate between an institute and a college? And do you say "Present Indefenite"(instead of simple present?) Well, as you can see, our Ukranian books in grammar leave much to be desired:)

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old- fashioned or new?

Quote Originally Posted by DianaDurko View Post
    Hello! I'm Diana from Ukraine (that's NOT Russia). I'm an English language teacher and I've got some tricky questions getting the answers for which is difficult since teachers have varying opinions. Could you be so kind as to help me and tell me what you use nowadays?Well, firstly, do you use shall/should for I/WE? As far as I know, it's in the past, but our teachers still use them this way. Secondly, do you use the word "pupil" ? one more thing that I was taken aback with is the usage of "Don't let's go there".How can we say "don't let's"? is it possible at all?it sounds so awkward! Moreover, how do you differenciate between an institute and a college? And do you say "Present Indefenite"(instead of simple present?) Well, as you can see, our Ukranian books in grammar leave much to be desired:)
    I use 'shall I/should I' and 'shall we/should we'. I use the word 'pupil'. I wouldn't use 'Don't let's' but rather 'Let's not'. I don't use the term 'present indefinite'.