• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

in progress/in consideration of/hired man/hell on wheels/heaped coals of fire on Mary

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

1. Plans are in progress to build a new school next year.
    2. A dog ran out on the playing field while the game was in progress.
    3. In consideration of the boy's young age, the judge did not put him in jail for carryig a gun.
    4. The hired man was sick, and a lot of the daily chores were not done.
    5. Fiega complains that his wife is hell on wheels.
    6. Alice heaped coals of fire on Mary's head by inviting her to a party after Mary had gossiped about her.
    in progress = being made or done; happening
    in consideration of = after thinking about and weighing; because of.
    hired man = a man employed to do jobs every day about a house or farm
    hell on wheels = tough, aggressive, wild, or mean, or a crabby person especially one who makes another unhappy by constantly criticizing him even when he has done nothing wrong.
    heaps coals of fire on one’s head = to be kind or helpful to someone who has done wrong to you, so that he is ashamed

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: in progress/in consideration of/hired man/hell on wheels/heaped coals of fire on

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

1. Plans are in progress to build a new school next year. "Plans are being made"...
    2. A dog ran out on the playing field while the game was in progress. "was taking place".
    3. In consideration of the boy's young age, the judge did not put him in jail for carryig a gun. With reference to; because of
    4. The hired man was sick, and a lot of the daily chores were not done.
    5. Fiega complains that his wife is hell on wheels. Unlikely unless she is a bicylce, car or other form of transport.
    6. Alice heaped coals of fire on Mary's head by inviting her to a party after Mary had gossiped about her.
    in progress = being made or done; happening
    in consideration of = after thinking about and weighing; because of.
    hired man = a man employed to do jobs every day about a house or farm
    hell on wheels = tough, aggressive, wild, or mean, or a crabby person especially one who makes another unhappy by constantly criticizing him even when he has done nothing wrong.
    heaps coals of fire on one’s head = to be kind or helpful to someone who has done wrong to you, so that he is ashamed

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: in progress/in consideration of/hired man/hell on wheels/heaped coals of fire on

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    5. Fiega complains that his wife is hell on wheels. Unlikely unless she is a bicylce, car or other form of transport.

Hi Anglika,

Thank you for your kindly reply. Thank you for your explanation concerning the matter in question.

I,m sorry, but I beg to differ with your annotation concerning my original sentence №5.

Here is a sentence from a link of Answer.com.

“Watch out for the boss--he's hell on wheels this week.”

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the “boss” in the sentence above is a new brand of “a bicycle, car or other form of transport?

You could apply to the next link for more detailed information.

Hell on Wheels: Information from Answers.com

Thank you again for your backing.

Regards,

V.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not an idiom I have encountered, and as you see it is an American one. My boss could be hell on legs quite often.