Sigh is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Analyzing what people say is pointless?

I'm having trouble in a critical thinking class with some assignments. We get tons of assignments where we must use all of our critical thinking skills to analyze magazine articles, essays, newspaper articles etc. I keep getting C range scores with the teacher explaining that it's "partially correct" or "not what she wanted". It's like because I don't see it her way, it must be wrong. Is that a good way for a teacher to think?

I've always had this problem with these type of classes. Sometimes my mind just comes to different conclusions than most people. This creative side(?) is good for the real world but in a school setting it is pissing me off. When these teachers see an answer other than what they were looking for, no matter HOW much of an explanation and evidence I give, it must be wrong. I often ask myself who's the better critical thinker..? Me or this damn teacher...

I think it's all bs. Analyzing what people say too deeply is just pointless.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Analyzing what people say is pointless?

Analyzing what people say is pointless?

For starters, that's what every scam artist, con merchant, used car salesman and advertising executive relies on: people who don't use their critical faculties in weighing up what is being touted.
    Critical thinking calls for a persistent effort to examine any belief or claim in the light of the evidence that supports it.

There is a TV documentary series on the Crime Channel, called American Greed. In one, across America, $140 million was turned over to one scammer, who dangled the carrot of a 250% !!!! return on their money.
    They lost their life savings and retirement money because they didn't think about and ask themselves, but how is a 250% return possible?

I think it's poor teaching if your teacher responds, "It's not what I wanted." And equally, a poor attitude on your part to respond with a sweeping dismissiveness - it's all bull - if you're having difficulty understanding what is required: there's a difference between critical thinking, and creativity, and a place for each. You don't respond to a scammer's hype simply with a creative imagination that is off dreaming how you'll spend your fortune.

For a free course and help in this area, see
    http://philosophy.hku.hk/think/
    Last edited by David L.; 24-Jun-2009 at 19:30.

Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    I'm having trouble in a critical thinking class with some assignments. We get tons of assignments where we must use all of our critical thinking skills to analyze magazine articles, essays, newspaper articles etc. I keep getting C range scores with the teacher explaining that it's "partially correct" or "not what she wanted". It's like because I don't see it her way, it must be wrong. Is that a good way for a teacher to think?

I've always had this problem with these type of classes.
    This implies that it isn't just the teacher.

Sometimes my mind just comes to different conclusions than most people. This creative side(?) is good for the real world but in a school setting it is pissing me off. When these teachers see an answer other than what they were looking for, no matter HOW much of an explanation and evidence I give, it must be wrong. I often ask myself who's the better critical thinker..? Me or this damn teacher...

I think it's all bs. Analyzing what people say too deeply is just pointless.
    If this is an example of your critical thinking, I can understand why you get Cs.
    Some people have trouble thinking critically. Some people refuse to think critically. Critical thinking can be learnt, but your attitude suggests that you are not willing to play the game.
    If you want more specific feedback, you could post an example of a critical essay that you've written and which your teacher wasn't impressed with. But you should realise that a useful response would involve someone analysing what you've said, which you've just claimed is pointless.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you ask her if you can speak to her after class to go over some of these assignments? Just tell her in a non-aggressive manner that you do not understand why her answer is correct and yours is wrong. Maybe it will require more explanation on her part than she can give in one or two sentences during class. Just be sure that you are projecting an attitude of wanting to learn, and not of wanting to call BS on her.

Try to see it from her side. While there are bad, decent, good and great teachers out there, for her to be teaching on this level the school must have felt she has some kind of insight.