Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Mad-ox's Avatar
    Mad-ox is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Insert Symbols!?

    Dear Administrator,


    Just as we have the possibility to use FONTS, Sizes, Colors, Italics, Smilies and so on and so forth, wouldn't be possibile for you as Administrators to do something so as we could insert the symbols of the English phonetic alphabet. I think it would be very useful especially in the pronounciation threads. For instance, if we want to explain the pronounciation of a word, we could use INSERT SYMBOLS and then we choose the correct ones for the word in discussion.


    many thanks,
    Madox

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Insert Symbols!?

    I agree that it would be 'nice to have', but I wouldn't be surprised to be told that sizes, fonts and so on come with vBulletin, and that adding this facility just for UsingEnglish is either impossible (because vBulletin doesn't provide a programming interface) or would involve a lot of work on the part of Red5. So wait for an Administrator to say what's going to happen, but don't be surprised if 'what's going to happen' turns out to be Nothing.

    b

  3. #3
    Mad-ox's Avatar
    Mad-ox is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Insert Symbols!?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I agree that it would be 'nice to have', but I wouldn't be surprised to be told that sizes, fonts and so on come with vBulletin, and that adding this facility just for UsingEnglish is either impossible (because vBulletin doesn't provide a programming interface) or would involve a lot of work on the part of Red5. So wait for an Administrator to say what's going to happen, but don't be surprised if 'what's going to happen' turns out to be Nothing.

    b



  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Insert Symbols!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-ox View Post
    Dear Administrator,


    Just as we have the possibility to use FONTS, Sizes, Colors, Italics, Smilies and so on and so forth, wouldn't be possibile for you as Administrators to do something so as we could insert the symbols of the English phonetic alphabet. I think it would be very useful especially in the pronounciation threads. For instance, if we want to explain the pronounciation of a word, we could use INSERT SYMBOLS and then we choose the correct ones for the word in discussion.


    many thanks,
    Madox
    You can insert symbols easily enough by copying and pasting them from another program, eg Word. or a phonetic typewriter on the web, such as
    IPA Typewriter

  5. #5
    Mad-ox's Avatar
    Mad-ox is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Insert Symbols!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You can insert symbols easily enough by copying and pasting them from another program, eg Word. or a phonetic typewriter on the web, such as
    IPA Typewriter

    /θnk ju: verɪ mʌʧ/

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Insert Symbols!?

    Correction: /θŋk/ And the /ɪ/ in "very" is a bit old-fashioned in Br English; most people in my experience use /i:/ except if they're making a conscious effort to 'talk posh'; in fact, /verɪ verɪ/ is a colloquial synonym for 'posh': "I've never met anyone who was so /verɪ verɪ/". People nearly always use this pronunciation when quoting the Noel Coward line "Very flat, Norfolk" ( from Private Lives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

    b

  7. #7
    Mad-ox's Avatar
    Mad-ox is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Insert Symbols!?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Correction: /θŋk/ And the /ɪ/ in "very" is a bit old-fashioned in Br English; most people in my experience use /i:/ except if they're making a conscious effort to 'talk posh'; in fact, /verɪ verɪ/ is a colloquial synonym for 'posh': "I've never met anyone who was so /verɪ verɪ/". People nearly always use this pronunciation when quoting the Noel Coward line "Very flat, Norfolk" ( from Private Lives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

    b
    Both dictionaries OXFORD and MACMILLAN use the short vowel sound /ɪ/ for the word very/verɪ/. We have long vowel sound in words like peace /pi:s/, mean /mi:n/ etc.


    and the same two dictionaries say /θnk/ and not /θŋk/


    Madox

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Insert Symbols!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-ox View Post
    Both dictionaries OXFORD and MACMILLAN use the short vowel sound /ɪ/ for the word very/verɪ/. We have long vowel sound in words like peace /pi:s/, mean /mi:n/ etc.


    and the same two dictionaries say /θnk/ and not /θŋk/


    Madox
    I can't see a problem with the /i/ in /veri/ as a phonemic transcription.
    An IPA phonetic transciption would be /vɛɹi/ but /e/ and /r/ are generally accepted if it's understood that it's English.

  9. #9
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,474
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Insert Symbols!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-ox View Post
    Both dictionaries OXFORD and MACMILLAN use the short vowel sound /ɪ/ for the word very/verɪ/. We have long vowel sound in words like peace /pi:s/, mean /mi:n/ etc.

    Interesting. So that would make "taxis" and "taxes" homophones. They were for Daniel Jones, but times have changed.

    and the same two dictionaries say /θnk/ and not /θŋk/

    Even more interesting. I keep learning more about the over-simplification of the IPA as used in the ELT world.

    Madox
    Thanks.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. insert
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2008, 20:30
  2. Explaining Symbols
    By Malintzin in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Sep-2007, 15:33
  3. phonetic symbols needed
    By eperson in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2007, 15:39
  4. Skype-Entering phonemic symbols
    By HotWombat in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2006, 06:12
  5. problem with phonetic symbols
    By rogusx in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2006, 03:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •