• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What does "Cold War simplifications were the norm" stand for?

Dear Teacher,
    I have read this phrase: "cold war simplifications were the norm". Then, what does it stand for?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What does "Cold War simplifications were the norm" stand for?

I am not a teacher, but I am a native speaker.

We would have to see how it is used to know for sure, but I think it is being said to mean the same as:

"During the Cold War, people had to simplify their lives". Simplify = to make something more simple; less complex.

Is there anything else written that could support that? It really could mean several different things: Simplifying Cold War strategy, country relations, or other things.

But "simplifications" is a noun form of "simplify" or "simple" meaning having few parts, not complex, complicated or involved.

gonghoujun is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Mr. Jackolantern,
    Thank you very much for your kind and detailed reply!
    G.

Post Thanks / Like

In 1959, ...David Crook...published Revolution in a Chinese Village. (He)... provided a positive picture of China to the outside world at a time when cold war simplifications were the norm. It was as a result of his experiences in the Depression-hit America of the early 1930s that Crook became a communist. It was a political commitment that shaped his life.

'simplification' means making a very complex situation simple to understand. HOWEVER - this often means that an issue becomes black and white, good and bad, right and wrong, and the fact that both sides can have good and bad aspects to them is lost.
    It is a simplification to say Communism bad, American way good. Based on such a simplification, then the Government of China is "bad" (oppressive), and the people mere puppets of the state.

Cook had experienced the American way, and also analyzed government and society in China, and the welfare of the people, and wrote about his understanding in depth...and saw many positive things about Communism as practiced in China.
    Last edited by David L.; 30-Jun-2009 at 10:58.

gonghoujun is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    'simplification' means making a very complex situation simple to understand. HOWEVER - this often means that an issue becomes black and white, good and bad, right and wrong, and the fact that both sides can have good and bad aspects to them is lost.
    Hullo, Mr David L.,
    I have just found and read your this reply. Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!