Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: group is/are

  1. #1
    Tan Elaine is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default group is/are

    A group of animals is/are passing by.

    I think I can use either verb; 'is' if viewed as a group and 'are' if perceived as individual animals.

    This is what I thought but a friend of mine says that only 'is' is correct. Is she right or am I?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: group is/are

    group
    a number of people or things that are together in the same place or that are connected in some way: a group of girls / trees / houses A group of us are going to the theatre this evening. Students stood around in groups waiting for their results. The residents formed a community action group. English is a member of the Germanic group of languages The proportion of single parent families varies between different income groups. a minority group ethnic groups a group activity (= done by a number of people working together) She asked her students to get into groups of four. to work in groups

  3. #3
    Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: group is/are

    Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
    In British English group is used with both singular and plural verbs.
    ▪ A large group was/were waiting for him.

  4. #4
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: group is/are

    I would not use "A group are..." unless the audience is British. For a North American, or mixed audience, it is safer to say "The group is..." because it sounds correct to all, whereas "The group are..." sounds like an error to North American ears.

  5. #5
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: group is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    A group of animals is/are passing by.

    I think I can use either verb; 'is' if viewed as a group and 'are' if perceived as individual animals.

    This is what I thought but a friend of mine says that only 'is' is correct. Is she right or am I?

    Thanks.
    Both are correct in BrE.

  6. #6
    The French is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wink Re: group is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I would not use "A group are..." unless the audience is British. For a North American, or mixed audience, it is safer to say "The group is..." because it sounds correct to all, whereas "The group are..." sounds like an error to North American ears.
    Hello, my friend of Canada,

    I think the both forms grammatically are correct for North American, if it's like in French grammar (I think a lot words come from French language), if you have a group of things, and you use is, it's to inderline the action of the group, but if you use are, for example about a group of insect who are eating a maiz field, it's to insist on each one of insect like crikets, but I'm not North American.

    Perhaps a North American teacher show us the right answer.

    Have a nice day.

  7. #7
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: group is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hello, my friend of Canada,

    I think the both forms grammatically are correct for North American, if it's like in French grammar (I think a lot words come from French language), if you have a group of things, and you use is, it's to inderline the action of the group, but if you use are, for example about a group of insect who are eating a maiz field, it's to insist on each one of insect like crikets, but I'm not North American.

    Perhaps a North American teacher show us the right answer.

    Have a nice day.
    The French, it is true that a lot of words in English have their origins in French, mostly Norman French, but with many later additions as well. English grammar, however, is (largely) not influenced by French grammar.

  8. #8
    Tan Elaine is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: group is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hello, my friend of Canada,

    Perhaps a North American teacher show us the right answer.

    Have a nice day.
    Hello, my friend of Canada,

    The preposition should be 'from', shouldn't it?

    Thanks.

  9. #9
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: group is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hello, my friend of Canada,

    I think the both forms grammatically are correct for North American, if it's like in French grammar (I think a lot words come from French language), if you have a group of things, and you use is, it's to inderline the action of the group, but if you use are, for example about a group of insect who are eating a maiz field, it's to insist on each one of insect like crikets, but I'm not North American.

    Perhaps a North American teacher how us the right answer.

    Have a nice day.
    Hi the French, I think I qualify as a North American teacher myself, being both of those things at the same time.

    You'd definitely raise eyebrows here if you said or wrote "the team are pleased with their victory" or other such collective nouns. It's not correct usage here, I promise you that.

  10. #10
    Tan Elaine is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: group is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Hello, my friend of Canada,

    The preposition should be 'from', shouldn't it?

    Thanks.
    Could someone please help me?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. user group = users group?
    By ikasso in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Apr-2009, 14:25
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Jan-2009, 23:46
  3. The Importance of Group Learning in Language Teaching
    By Jinwei Ma in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-Nov-2008, 08:01
  4. Limited group or group limited
    By nolly in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-Mar-2008, 20:00
  5. product group
    By unpakwon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2008, 02:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk