Thread: Noun

1. Arnold

Noun

Good Day!
    I'm having trouble reconstructing these senteces to make them correct. The instruction says "Decide if the nouns should be pluralized then write the correct plural form"

1. Many modern device require battery to work, Flashlight, pocket, calculator, portable radio, tape recorder, and many kand of toy often need battery.

I am thinking of doing it like this but I'm not sure

Many modern devices require batteries to work, Flashlights, pockets, calculators, portable radios, tape recorders, and many kinds of toy often need batteries.

2. The offspring of animal like horse,zebra, and deer can run soon after they are born

3. I like to read book and magazine article about true personal experience.

4. Forest sometimes have fire. Forest fire endanger wild animal

Please explain for me the correct answer and Links regarding this topic are very much appreciated. Thank You.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noun

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    Good Day!
    I'm having trouble reconstructing these senteces to make them correct. The instruction says "Decide if the nouns should be pluralized then write the correct plural form"

1. Many modern device require battery to work, Flashlight, pocket, calculator, portable radio, tape recorder, and many kand of toy often need battery.

I am thinking of doing it like this but I'm not sure

Many modern devices correct require batteries to work, work: Flashlights - correct but no F needed, it's not a new sentence, pockets, calculators, portable radios, tape recorders, and many kinds of toy toys - for the same reason you wrote 'devices' often need batteries.

2. The offspring of animal like horse,zebra, and deer can run soon after they are born

3. I like to read book and magazine article about true personal experience.

4. Forest sometimes have fire. Forest fire endanger wild animal

Please explain for me the correct answer and Links regarding this topic are very much appreciated. Thank You.
    It seems you understand the rule; apply it to all the sentences and remember that the plural is used in these cases because they refer to the things in general, not specific examples. It is similar to 'I like dogs,' not 'I like dog'. However, some words are used in singular form even though they mean plural eg offspring - we don't say offsprings. In addition, some words eg deer, are the same for singular and plural.

Points 1,3 and 4 provide more explanation in this link:
    Unit 4: Singular and Plural -->Grammar Focus
    A further challenge is provided on this link because we use 'articles' with nouns, but not all the time:
    Indefinite Articles - Glossary Definition - UsingEnglish.com
    Last edited by csheywood; 28-Jun-2009 at 16:53. Reason: url missed.

• Post Thanks / Like

First, I should say that I am not a teacher myself, I am a postgraduate student majoring in English linguistic, I really think that you might change some nouns into plural form, such as book into books, or magazine into magazines listed in your examples.

• Post Thanks / Like

at csheywood

Please Let me clarify. When we are refering to things in general, we are to make it plural?

at lhxbluesun

I am thinking not to pluralized the words book and magazine because they modify the word article. Is that correct?Are those nouns functionining as adjectives?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judocallin View Post
    at csheywood

I am thinking not to pluralized the words book and magazine because they modify the word article. Is that correct?Are those nouns functionining as adjectives?
    I think that "book and magazine" are the objects of read, which is a transitive verb. I'd write:

3. I like to read books and magazines articles about true personal experiences.