Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    becken2006 Guest

    Default I need your help!

    1) By the time you got to New York, I___ for London.
    A) would be leaving B)was leaving C)had already left D)should have left
    The key is D,but I don't know is it a right pression?
    2) A research was carried out on the water pollution in that region, ____ were surprising.
    A) the results of which B)as results C)the results of it D)which results
    I chose A;but the key is D;am I wrong?;Is the key right?;why;
    3) This article _____more attention to the problem of cultural interference in foreign language teaching and learning.
    A) cares for B)applies for C)allows for D)calls for I think C is right,but the key is D!who is the right?


  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I need your help!

    Quote Originally Posted by becken2006
    1) By the time you got to New York, I___ for London.
    A) would be leaving B)was leaving C)had already left D)should have left
    The key is D,but I don't know is it a right pression?
    That's odd. I would have picked C, thus: "By the time you got to New York, I had already left for London." That's a perfectly sensible sentence, don't you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by becken2006
    2) A research was carried out on the water pollution in that region, ____ were surprising.
    A) the results of which B)as results C)the results of it D)which results
    I chose A;but the key is D;am I wrong?;Is the key right?;why;
    I also chose A. You and I are both right. For D to be correct the punctuation would have to be different. The last comma would have to be a semicolon or a period.

    :)

  3. #3
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I need your help!

    Two out of three is not bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by becken2006
    3) This article _____more attention to the problem of cultural interference in foreign language teaching and learning.
    A) cares for B)applies for C)allows for D)calls for I think C is right,but the key is D!who is the right?
    D is right here. (An article can't "allow for" things.) However, it is still a poor sentence. It should be: "This article calls for more attention to be paid to the problem...."

    BTW, say "Who is right?"

    Welcome to the forum!


  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    :D

  5. #5
    comicer Guest

    Default Re: I need your help!

    Quote Originally Posted by becken2006
    1) By the time you got to New York, I___ for London.

    2) A research was carried out on the water pollution in that region, ____ were surprising.
    A) the results of which B)as results C)the results of it D)which results

    Hello teachers, I remember that research is a non-count noun. If so, 'A research' should be replaced by 'A survey', shouldn't it?

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You're right- you should use 'survey' or remove the article.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •