Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,661
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    How to justify 'dislike to'?

    Hi every body,
    It's mostly said to be more common to hear "dislike doing" rather than "dislike to do", (with the former emphasising a feeling, and the latter an occasion)...I know from some samples that "dislike to do" is a bit formal and not as common as "don't like to do"...However, I'd like to get some more info about the usage of "dislike to do" (the possibility of an infinitive after the verb 'deslike'), and sources in which I can find out more about...Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Mehrgan; 30-Jun-2009 at 23:59.

  2. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,661
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Is the form "dislike to do" accepted?

    Hi,
    I'd like to know more from the native speakers how odd/common is the use of the verb "dislike" followed by an infinitive. Apart from the different associated meaning in either case, is that ok to use the structure at all?

    Thanks in advance...

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,879
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: How to justify 'dislike to'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi every body,
    It's mostly said to be more common to hear "dislike doing" rather than "dislike to do", (with the former emphasising a feeling, and the latter an occasion)...I know from some samples that "dislike to do" is a bit formal and not as common as "don't like to do"...However, I'd like to get some more info about the usage of "dislike to do" (the possibility of an infinitive after the verb 'deslike'), and sources in which I can find out more about...Thanks in advance...
    I'm interested in the feeling/occasion rule. When I saw your other post, which didn't mention this, I tried to imagine contexts where a 'to' infinitive might be acceptable, and was toying with a similar sort of rule. But I feel it's rather dated - most native speakers would use '-ing' in either case. I'm petty sure I've hard the 'to' infinitive used though:

    He disliked hearing people use such language ... - a general feeling
    ...but he particularly disliked to hear his daughter do it. - reaction to a particular instance

    But as I say, I think this is a rather dated usage. What do other teachers think?

    b

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 21,453
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: How to justify 'dislike to'?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I'm interested in the feeling/occasion rule. When I saw your other post, which didn't mention this, I tried to imagine contexts where a 'to' infinitive might be acceptable, and was toying with a similar sort of rule. But I feel it's rather dated - most native speakers would use '-ing' in either case. I'm petty sure I've hard the 'to' infinitive used though:

    He disliked hearing people use such language ... - a general feeling
    ...but he particularly disliked to hear his daughter do it. - reaction to a particular instance

    But as I say, I think this is a rather dated usage. What do other teachers think?

    b
    I don't think I've ever heard it. What do the corpora say?
    I would not advise it to students, in any case.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 21,453
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Is the form "dislike to do" accepted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi,
    I'd like to know more from the native speakers how odd/common is the use of the verb "dislike" followed by an infinitive. Apart from the different associated meaning in either case, is that ok to use the structure at all?

    Thanks in advance...
    See your duplicate thread for answers.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: How to justify 'dislike to'?

    Mehrgan, please try to keep your queries on a topic to one thread - it becomes confusing otherwise.

  6. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,661
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: How to justify 'dislike to'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Mehrgan, please try to keep your queries on a topic to one thread - it becomes confusing otherwise.


    Thanks to all senders...

    Dear Anglika, in future I'll try to follow the rules...Sorry anyway for any inconvinience I've made...

Similar Threads

  1. what's wrong with "I dislike this type of question?"
    By falling slowly in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Sep-2008, 15:25
  2. degrees of like and dislike
    By manywords in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2007, 17:05
  3. Justify my package
    By sureshfina in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-Aug-2007, 15:28
  4. Survey: What do you like or dislike about our site?
    By Red5 in forum Comments & Suggestions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Aug-2006, 13:13
  5. don't like and dislike
    By mak in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2006, 16:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •