Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    flytothesky is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    440
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile not my preferred design

    Hello~ Can you help me say this naturally please?

    A: Did you find the thing you are looking for?


    B:
    Yes but that’s not my prefer design.
    Yes but that’s not my preferred design.

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,589
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: not my preferred design

    What exactly is it you're buying? There could be various possibilities and I wouldn't use either of those, though the second is more grammatical.

  3. #3
    Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: not my preferred design

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    What exactly is it you're buying? There could be various possibilities and I wouldn't use either of those, though the second is more grammatical.
    Tdol:

    Could you reword them, please?

    --------------------------------

    A: Hello. Does it look like the one in your hands is what you've been looking for?
    B: Yes, but I'm starting to feel this doesn't look good on me.
    Does this sound good to you?

  4. #4
    flytothesky is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    440
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: not my preferred design

    Oh,, I have no idea how to call the bag with wheel that I carry when I go traveling and I can carry in the airplane.

    I was looking for that bag at Kmart, and there were some but I couldn't find the design and color I like.

    When I got out of the shop a seller asked me if I found it and I said “Yes I found the bag but that’s not my preferred design”.

  5. #5
    Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: not my preferred design



    This is called a suitcase.

    If I were you, I would say: "There are several types of suitcases here. Since they all look good, it's kind of hard for me to pick one."

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,589
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: not my preferred design

    Quote Originally Posted by flytothesky View Post
    Oh,, I have no idea how to call the bag with wheel that I carry when I go traveling and I can carry in the airplane.

    I was looking for that bag at Kmart, and there were some but I couldn't find the design and color I like.

    When I got out of the shop a seller asked me if I found it and I said “Yes I found the bag but that’s not my preferred design”.
    You can call it carry-on luggage/bag, etc. You will find 'wheeled carry-on luggage' used on the internet, but I think that's more a trade term; I've never heard it used.

    I'd use I found the bags but I couldn't find the one I wanted/was looking for.

  7. #7
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,589
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: not my preferred design

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Tdol:

    Could you reword them, please?

    --------------------------------

    A: Hello. Does it look like the one in your hands is what you've been looking for?
    B: Yes, but I'm starting to feel this doesn't look good on me.
    Does this sound good to you?
    How about:
    A: Hello. Is the one in your hands what you've been looking for?
    B: Yes, but I'm starting to feel it doesn't look good on me.

  8. #8
    Daruma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: not my preferred design

    "There are several types of suitcases here. Since they all look good, it's kind of hard for me to pick one."

    Does this sound awkward?

Similar Threads

  1. "in the same design problem,..."
    By fang2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2008, 02:03
  2. preferred to.......
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2008, 22:59
  3. design faults
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2007, 10:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk