mei Guest

Default despite the codes of objective reporting

Hi,

I have difficulty understanding the underlined sentences. Could anyone give me a hand? Thank you very much.

This patriarchal inflection of truth, far from occurring in a wildly indeterminate manner, takes place within what is a discursive economy of Otherness where women's experiences are recurrenly effaced, trivialized, or marginalized. This despite the codes of 'objective' reporting which dictate that such evaluations should not take place on the basis of gender; rather, 'the facts must be allowed to speak for themselves.' Significantly, however, the gendered-specificity of these codes is all too often apparent.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That certainly is puzzling. You should be able to get some help here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/dicti...es?msg=14697.1

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Fruzzle provided a pretty good explanation for the passage you underlined and for the rest of that paragraph. BTW, she is curious about what you are reading (as am I).

Anyhow, much of that was "over my head" and I needed some help. Fruzzle came through for me. Just click on the link I provided with the previous posting (if you haven't already done so).

:wink:

mei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Fruzzle provided a pretty good explanation for the passage you underlined and for the rest of that paragraph. BTW, she is curious about what you are reading (as am I).

Anyhow, much of that was "over my head" and I needed some help. Fruzzle came through for me. Just click on the link I provided with the previous posting (if you haven't already done so).

:wink:

Dear Ronbee:

Thank you for helping me with many questions I have. Actually I am reading a book called "News Culture." As I am translating this book for a publisher, I need to have a better understanding. Thanks a lot. :P

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mei
    Thank you for helping me with many questions I have.
    You are quite welcome. Thankfully, when I can't be of much help there are people like Fruz and Tdol around to help.

Quote Originally Posted by mei
    Actually I am reading a book called "News Culture." As I am translating this book for a publisher, I need to have a better understanding.
    I see. Thank you for that explanation. That is quite interesting. I wish I knew two languages well enough to do something like that, but I am monolingual.

We'll be here when you need more help.

:)

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

This patriarchal inflection of truth, far from occurring in a wildly indeterminate manner, takes place within what is a discursive economy of Otherness where women's experiences are recurrenly effaced, trivialized, or marginalized. This despite the codes of 'objective' reporting which dictate that such evaluations should not take place on the basis of gender; rather, 'the facts must be allowed to speak for themselves.' Significantly, however, the gendered-specificity of these codes is all too often apparent.

My take-
    Patriarchal ideas belittle women's experiences, etc.
    Objective repororting is based on the idea that gender isn't a factor when looking at facts.
    However, these rules of 'objectivity' are blatently gender sepcific.

Therefore, the concept of objectivity is a male dominated idea, despite its claims, and this impacts on how women are presented.

HTH