Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Gerund vs Infinitive

    I have two questions about following two sentences

    (A) The doorman held the door for her passing through.
    (B) The doorman held the door for her to pass through.

    Q1. If both sentences are grammatically correct?
    Q2. If they are, what is the difference in the meaning?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Gerund vs Infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by yun View Post
    I have two questions about following two sentences

    (A) The doorman held the door for her passing through.
    (B) The doorman held the door for her to pass through.

    Q1. If both sentences are grammatically correct?
    Q2. If they are, what is the difference in the meaning?

    Thank you.
    (A) is incorrect.

  3. #3
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Gerund vs Infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by yun View Post
    I have two questions about following two sentences

    (A) The doorman held the door for her passing through.
    (B) The doorman held the door for her to pass through.

    Q1. If both sentences are grammatically correct?
    Q2. If they are, what is the difference in the meaning?

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Gerund vs Infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    (A) is incorrect.
    Thank you for your prompt reply.
    Would you explain the reason?
    In fact, I can't see any grammatical problem.

  5. #5
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Gerund vs Infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by yun View Post
    Thank you for your prompt reply.
    Would you explain the reason?
    In fact, I can't see any grammatical problem.
    A is correct.

  6. #6
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Re: Gerund vs Infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    A is correct.
    The question is whether you would say like that, svartnik.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Gerund vs Infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    A is correct.
    Are you a native speaker?
    I am sorry but I need a serious answer with a grammatical explanation.

  8. #8
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Gerund vs Infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by yun View Post
    Are you a native speaker?
    I am sorry but I need a serious answer with a grammatical explanation.
    (A) The doorman held the door for her passing through.

    What part of speech, in your opinion, is 'passing' in this sentence?

  9. #9
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Gerund vs Infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by yun View Post
    I have two questions about following two sentences

    (A) The doorman held the door for her passing through.
    (B) The doorman held the door for her to pass through.

    Thank you.
    I don't like either of them. They both seem to indicate that the lady is going to pass through the door that the doorman is holding, rather than through the doorway. Is she in spirit?
    The doorman held the door while she walked through.
    I know this could also be read wrongly, but there's something about the original expression that invites the above interpretation.

    Bhai, the 'passing' in 'passing through' is a gerund.
    The police cleared the road for the Queen's passing by.

  10. #10
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Gerund vs Infinitive

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I don't like either of them. They both seem to indicate that the lady is going to pass through the door that the doorman is holding, rather than through the doorway. Is she in spirit?
    The doorman held the door while she walked through.
    I know this could also be read wrongly, but there's something about the original expression that invites the above interpretation.

    Bhai, the 'passing' in 'passing through' is a gerund.
    The police cleared the road for the Queen's passing by.
    Would you say: The police cleared the road for the Queen's passing by.
    or:
    The police cleared the road for the Queen's entourage to pass by.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gerund & Infinitive
    By Dinhtuong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Jun-2009, 14:35
  2. Gerund vs infinitive
    By kledor in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2009, 02:56
  3. a gerund or an infinitive
    By daisy1352 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2008, 14:48
  4. infinitive vs. gerund
    By blue_jay975 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2008, 10:27
  5. infinitive or gerund?
    By demir in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2007, 18:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •