vulpes Guest

standing godfather

"Shakespeare, standing godfather to one of [Ben] Jonsonís children, and faced with the necessity of thinking of an appropriate christening gift, comes out of 'a deep study' inspired."

1. what is a "standing godfather" and how does it differ from just "a godfather"?

2. what does "comes out of 'a deep study' inspired" mean?

"'Iíll eíen give him a dozen good latten spoons,' he tells Ben, ďand thou shalt translate them.' For modern readers this feeble jest requires a gloss: latten was a brass or brass-like alloy."

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: standing godfather

standing = in his position as
    deep study = he thaought about it carefully

vulpes Guest

what is the difference between "a standing godfather" and just "a godfather?"

what does it mean here:

-when i first came here, one of the guys punched me in the face.
    -they do that to all the newcomers. they call it "standing godfather."

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I havent heard the expression and it isn't in www.onelook.com. I assumed in the Shakespeare example, it just menat that he was occupying the position of godfather. Maybe someone else here has heard the expression.

xbisoubisoux Guest

standing godfather is just another way to say he is the current godfather, comes out of 'a deep study' inspired means he contemplated or thought about it intensely and finally figured out a great gift to get the child. the word inspired suggests however that the idea was sudden rather than methodical.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, though if the decision was a dozen spoons, I wonder how deeply he considered the matter.

vulpes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by xbisoubisoux
    standing godfather is just another way to say he is the current godfather, comes out of 'a deep study' inspired means he contemplated or thought about it intensely and finally figured out a great gift to get the child. the word inspired suggests however that the idea was sudden rather than methodical.
    thank you. what puzzles me is that a godfather is a godfather, there shouldn't be something like standing godfather or "sitting" godfather -). this might be that i'm just a stranger to the christening traditions. so please enlighten me: could somebody have more than one godfather or can there be different godfathers at diferent times of one's life?

vulpes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I havent heard the expression and it isn't in www.onelook.com. I assumed in the Shakespeare example, it just menat that he was occupying the position of godfather. Maybe someone else here has heard the expression.
    after "deep study" i was "inspired" that it may be the custom habit of thugs to beat the newcomers to the gang and call it christening. "hey, i first punched you, so i'm your godfather from now on." only the meaning added to the sentence by the word "standing" eluded me.