- For Teachers
Fill the blanks with "quiet, calm, still, silent".
I'd appreciate it very much if you could help me with these questions, the problem with these words being, how many of them could fit these question?
1. The crowd fell _____ when the President appeared.
(My first choice: silent. What about quiet?)
2. We stood _______ and watched as the deer came closer.
(My first choice: still. Maybe, silently & quietly fit)
3. Glen was ______and composed at the funeral.
(My first choice: calm. )
4. We'll have to be _______ so as not to wake the baby.
(My first choice: quiet. What about silent?)
5. She kept _______, just lowering her head pretending that she was reading.
(My first choice: silent)
6. We walked along the bank, viewing the _______ waters of the lake.
(My first choice: still. Maybe, "quiet, calm, still, silent" all work? )
7. The streets are _____ again after last night's disturbances.
(My first choice: calm. Maybe, "quiet, calm, still, silent" all work?)
8. I'll be as _______ as a mouse. I will not disturb him. (quiet)
(My first choice: quiet. Maybe, silent also works)
9. Please stand ___for a moment while I am taking your photograph．[still]
A．calm B．still C．silent D．quiet
(My first choice: still. )
10. At that moment, they had no choice but to jump into the pit, as the countryside was so bare. There was a great splash, and very soon all was ____. ( still; silent ; calm)
A) noisy B) still C) silent D) calm
Many thanks here!
Wonderful! I couldn't thank you more.
The meanings of these words are subtle and this thread makes them easier.
Last edited by henz988; 11-Jul-2009 at 02:40. Reason: Edit： ...could fit these questions?